FORUMS: list search recent posts

DF NDF in the Panasonic 3700B D5 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Press
DF NDF in the Panasonic 3700B D5 ?
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:00:52 pm

I can't find away of changing from DF to NDF. Nothing in the Manual about it.

Thanks
Matt

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: DF NDF in the Panasonic 3700B D5 ?
on Jul 8, 2011 at 12:23:59 am

I replied to your earlier thread but in case you missed it:

Look for the TC/CHR button. There you'll find the screen you need, and the soft key you're looking for is called "DF MD" (drop-frame mode). On = drop, off = non-drop.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:06:32 pm

Unless there's an overwhelming reason to do this, I wouldn't. While looking at drop frame time code may be a little confusing, it's still a far better measure of the actual elapsed time.

Consider this: two devices record a video feed. Obviously, both record at 29.97 fps. One device records drop frame time code, the other records non drop frame. Both start recording at 00:00:00:00, and record a little more than an hour of video. Both devices record precisely the same number of video frames, at the exact same frame rate.

After recording, both devices cue up precisely one hour into the video. The drop frame machine shows a time code of 00:59:59:29. The NON drop frame machine shows a time code of 01:00:03:18.

If this amount of discrepancy isn't an issue to you, go for it. If it is, don't do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew Press
on Jul 8, 2011 at 7:50:30 pm

Hi Dave. I feel the same way but the post house am at now only works in ndf. Doesn't seen to matter in the :30 spot world.
Thanks for the info.
And thanks Mark for the button find.

Thanks
Matt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 8, 2011 at 7:54:17 pm

[Matthew Press] "Hi Dave. I feel the same way but the post house am at now only works in ndf. Doesn't seen to matter in the :30 spot world."

Not for 30-second spots, but God help 'em if they ever have to make something that's precisely 7 minutes and 27 seconds long. I feel your pain.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]