FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP reconnect large number of files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Kwiatkowski
FCP reconnect large number of files
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:48:30 pm

This is probably (hopefully) a very basic question. Many thanks.

I'm reconnecting media for a fcp project involving thousands of still images. As of now my routine is to open up the reconnect files window, click "search" and then, if the file is not found, select "skip file" and then repeat with the next file. I feel that there must be a way to automate this process, but I can't figure out how. (my last step is to restart fcp and then take a screen shot of the files that failed to reconnect and then go through that screen shot list to try to fix them)

I've tried assigning the "search" and "skip file" buttons to shortcuts; tried using automator; tried using spark shortcut assistant, all without success.

Does fcp have any kind of build in scripting ability that could handle this sort of thing? A macro recorder ala MS Office or OOo would probably be perfect...

Again, this probably has a basic solution that I'm missing, thanks a lot for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP reconnect large number of files
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:34:41 pm

Which folder on your Mac contains these thousands of stills? You didn't make the mistake of leaving them scattered hither and yon across your machine, did you? You followed simple rules of organization, right?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Kwiatkowski
on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:16:26 pm

There are surely some deviations but for the most part the structure goes as follows;

Photographers (folder) --> Sub folder for each photographer --> Photographs and occasional subfolder for specific collection --> Photographs in a specific collection

Thousands is probably a bit of an exaggeration. Several hundred is probably more accurate.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:05:26 pm

Great! The job gets a lot easier.

When you reconnect media, FCP will find all the files used in the project in that particular photographer's folder. You simply have to reconnect as many times as you have photographers in the project; I think the ceckbox is called something like "reconnect all files in relative path" or something like that. It'll take some time, but it shouldn't be too tough.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Kwiatkowski
on Jul 11, 2011 at 7:00:14 pm

Hmmm, I guess the problem here is just that I have too many sub folders within each individual photographers folder to go through efficiently.

I guess that the solution is just to simplify the folder structure so that fewer clicks are necessary. (It still seems like there should be a way to automate this, but I suppose not)

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]