FORUMS: list search recent posts

The future of Apple Post

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chanse Chanthalansy
The future of Apple Post
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:49:16 pm

Hello everyone,

We are an Ad Agency with an in-house post production team. At the moment we are using FCP as our main Editing tool. With the new release of FCPX it bothers me that Apple (it seems) is taking their product and turning away from the professional industry. I am afraid FCPX is going to have the same faith as Shake (become a hobby tool). Don't get me wrong I love the new features and technology of FCPX, but as a small team I need to think about our investment and future of our workflow.

Right now our agency is in the brink of growing bigger and stronger because of our in-house capabilities. We are able to afford better solution but we were so stuck on FCP that we never got the chance to look into other possibilities.

I wanted to get some input from other professionals on what they think about FCPX and APPLE's future with our professional industry. I did alot of search about the subject and got mixed reviews on the app and also comments about Apple as well. At the moment we are re-evaluating our Post Workflow and looking into Smoke, Avid and possibly Premiere Pro.

Any comments or thoughts is helpful. Thanks

Chanse

Return to posts index

adam taylor
Re: The future of Apple Post
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:34:49 pm

you'll find hundreds of responses already posted if you look in the FCP X forum!

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Chanse Chanthalansy
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:37:49 pm

Oh snap... didn't even see we have an FCPX forum.... thanks for the pointer.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:43:48 pm

In my opinion I believe that FCP X was not a "mistake" or a botched release. I believe it is a well thought out, strategic move. FCP X seems to be supremely designed to be the "editing" tool on the iPad and future touch screen devices Apple will come out with; intended for consumer level shoot, cut out the bad bits, post to YouTube workflows. I can not look at the systematic and wholesale elimination of almost every pro feature from FCP as anything other than Apple taking a well respected brand and re purposing it on a consumer product. For me the absolute final indicator will be what they do with the towers. I see them ending production of the towers and only having the iPad, iMac, and a laptop or two.

In your situation, I would highly recommend Adobe Premier. If nothing else, Apple has forced me to take a look at the Adobe products and I am finding them absolutely fantastic! Kind of like what FCP should have been.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Chanse Chanthalansy
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:52:58 pm

I agree, I didn't mean to flame FCPX in any way... I think the new app is great and I will probably own a copy of it for my personal use. Apple has always surprise me with their releases and their ways of thinking is top notch.

The Towers are scaring me a bit as well. I love my Mac Pro Towers and hoping Apple would release more badass ones.

At the moment I am looking into Avid, Smoke, and also Premiere.... personally (not flaming) I am not a premiere fan ever since it was released... Not sure what it is to me... but I have this grudge on it...lol. Then again there's no reason for me to hold grudge and things do change...

I'll take a look at Premiere and see if it can spice me up. Thanks for the reply.

Chanse

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:12:33 pm

[Chanse Chanthalansy] "I am not a premiere fan ever since it was released"

The original Premier was not good. Premier Pro, along with the whole Adobe suite, is fantastic. I've only been exploring it for a few days now; but there are a lot of things I really like about it and that are really smart. It seems like Adobe sat down with a roomful of editor and said "what do you want or need?" and then implemented a whole bunch of those suggestions. Apple on the other hand...

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:01:47 pm

Since CS 5, Premiere has become a pretty formidable editing application. A plus: Premiere can read FCP 7 project files. You will DEFINITELY want to scrutinize this capability if you ever have to revisit projects.

I to prefer Macs to Windows boxes. But I fear the days of the great-big Mac Pros may be numbered. My reasoning: Apple's really big profits come from iStuff like iPads and iPhones, not desktop machines that don't run apps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:06:37 pm

[Dave LaRonde] " But I fear the days of the great-big Mac Pros may be numbered."

I agree totally. Its been a long time since anything other than a speed bump on the towers and why has Thunderbolt not been introduced in the towers yet? Makes me wonder and makes me a bit sad.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 8, 2011 at 7:51:27 pm

From what I've heard Apple is holding back any new hardware releases until Lion ships because they want Lion on the new hardware. Since Lion is dropping soon the guess is that new towers and minis, w/Thunderbolt, will drop a few weeks later.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]