FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad Pixels from - Sony NEX-FS100 Professional Camcorder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Brooks
Bad Pixels from - Sony NEX-FS100 Professional Camcorder
on Jul 4, 2011 at 9:04:22 pm

Hey Guys -

I am here helping out a buddy of mine and looking into some issues we are having with footage captured using the new FS100. He shoot the footage and I also have some clips in my edit bay. I am using FCP 6.0.6 and he is using FCP 7.

The camera was set to shoot in 30 frames per second in 1080.

We uploaded using the log and transfer device a half days worth of footage and the next few days after noticed pixels after exporting a few scenes - very bad during any kind of movement. The turning of heads - walking - you can see pixels all around the body/ head. At first they were not showing up in the FCP viewer monitor so we did not see them - but as we saw the exported footage it came out pixelated. We have tried a lot of stuff suggested here and elsewhere and are all about to return the camera.

We have been using FCP for years so we kinda know what to do but I know there are guys on here that know way more then us. I have uploaded an image capture of what we are seeing...

Thanks so much for any advice/ input you may have on this..

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Bad Pixels from - Sony NEX-FS100 Professional Camcorder
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:27:01 am

What codec are you converting the footage to in L&T? L&T offers legacy codecs like AIC that are awful and very lossy. ProRes LT is also fairly compressed and can show a bit of edge pixelation. Plain old ProRes422 is what you want to use.

Also make sure you have a look at Shane Ross's excellent tutorials on tapeless workflows.

Return to posts index

Brent Brooks
on Jul 5, 2011 at 2:38:48 pm

Michael - Thanks so much for posting your feedback on this. Below are some screen captures of the L&T import settings then the results - It does look like Apple ProRes 422 -

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:02:52 am

Yuck. Pixels are awful. That isn't just a codec choice issue. AIC isn't that bad

Just to clarify - are you using L&T in FCP 7 or 6?

Check an actual clip and have a look at the item properties inside FCP to see what the codec and field order settings are.

What sequence settings are you using and is that image post render. Do the sequence and clip codecs match? Info please.

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:09:56 pm

I'm curious - did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm having the exact same problem. Footage shot with NEX-FS100 is very pixelated when movement occurs. I'm using Log & Transfer to convert to ProRes 422. Filming was done at 1080i60.

Don Hertz
AC Media

Return to posts index

Gérard Angé
on Dec 24, 2012 at 11:00:04 am

For over a year since we bought the new NEX FS-100U ~ I have also shared these exact same issues that you have talked about. I tried many ways to fix the problem: First switching NLE's = we switched from FCP-7 to Adobe Premier CS6... Thinking it was a FCP issue... Because, the raw footage looked fine right out of the camera on a monitor. But looked like VHS footage after editing... But, after we switched NLE's... we still had similar issues with the NEX FS100 footage we had with FCP. So I spent days on the phone with Adobe's Techs and Adobe has yet not be able to solve the problem... After that... I upgraded to a brand New MacPro 6 Core with 32 Gig of ram and a Huge Raid... BlackMagic cards etc... but that didn't help. Along with the NEX FS-100 camera we also have a Sony F-3 that shoots XDCAM HD. The interesting thing is...We have never had any problems with the XDCAM footage ~ The F-3 footage is always beautiful every time! XDCAM HD is solid as a rock!!! I Love It!

We bought another Camera for our CineStar-8 Copter this time another Sony, a"CRX 760" a GyroCam... That CRX-760 also shoots in Sony AVCHD... What I found with that camera, is very similar to the NEX FS-100U footage directly from the CRX 760 HDMI port viewing on a monitor out of the camera the footage is beautiful!!!! But when you try to edit it in either FCP or Premier >>>> You get the exact same problems as the NEX FS 100U ~ pixel issues jittering but... even some new Problems! Now along with the NEX FS-100 issues that we are all getting the Sony CRX-760's AVCHD footage in Adobe Premier CS6 would also turn "Bright RED!!!" Audio would be fine...but no video on some clips... just a Bright RED RASTER! Adobe had never heard of this... Adobe wanted me to send them my footage... and when they got it... Adobe had the exact same problem as I did= A bright red screen etc and poor video quality!! But, So far Adobe can't seem to fix this problem either! Everything points to the "Sony AVCHD" Media.

So... That brings us to the latest new development with the NEX FS-100U. Researching my problem with Sony's AVCHD Media a few weeks ago...I went to the Sony site and their blog and found that Sony recommended using the "Brorsoft MTS Converter". So, I bought the "Brorsoft MTS Converter"... I decided to use the NEX FS-100 shooting a project for Standard HD Broadcast TV. Simple enough...I set it up the NEX FS-100 to: (HD 1080/60i) [interlaced} & SHOT MY FOOTAGE... But again... upon editing I noticed those same pixelation problems with the "Brorsoft MTS Converter"... But... when I looked at the Raw video files on a monitor they were fine.. I compared the raw MTS video data shot on the NEX FS-100 with both converters= "ClipWrap" &"The Brorsoft MTS Converter" But comparing the info data of the footage ~ To my amazement!!! I found that both converters said the Raw Video files were all shot in 30/progressive ??? But, Looking on the the camera's display it shows clearly the NEX FS-100U is recording in (HD 1080/60i) [interlaced] ????

I have tried shooting test files and everything that I shoot... regardless of what the camera's diplay reads is all reading "30 [Progressive]" not.... 60 [interlaced]!!!! Has anyone else noticed this? { Flaw ? }

I have waisted countless hours and tens of thousands of dollars trying to fix this stupid problem... What I am noticing is all these problems are all "Sony AVCHD" Related... I have ruined countless hours of shoot footage for many clients... Footage that looks perfect on an external camera monitor but... CAN'T BE EDITED without looking like VHS footage! The only thing that has kept me from complete disaster was using my F-3 as the primary camera with the NEX-FS-100... Because (both) cameras shoot in Super 35mm but.. the F-3 media is XDCAM HD...

At one time... I wanted to buy a NEX FS-700 But, the only thing that stopped me is that the NEX-700 uses Sony's Headache AVCHD Media.

I am sorry to see that others are going through the same hell I have been going through... The Question is for all of us.... Is there a firmware fix for these AVCHD issues we are all having... Or is it possibly... that some of these AVCHD cameras we own are just totally defective or our firmware is corrupted, Or maybe the only real solution is that we just get rid of these Sony AVCHD headaches altogether. I am real tired of continuing to deal with these added AVCHD problems.... These are Problems that I didn't have before!

Thanks for your input and thoughts,

Gerard

------------------------------

Return to posts index

Coen Oldenhof
on Oct 17, 2013 at 8:00:38 am

Hello Gerard, we make educational documentaries in Madagascar for over 10 years. Always shot on a Ikegamy DV7-camera. A year ago we bought a Sony NEX FS100 and an IMac i7 with it. It runs FCP 7 and 10.
We have EXACT the same problems. Images played direct from the camera on a HD monitor look great. But as soon I import them in FCP 7 or 10, they look shaky, jiggling,jittering (I don't know the right expression in English)and quality looks bad! It is clear during a pan movement of the camera.
Did you find a solution?

BUT!footage shot with my old camera (looks good on my old G5 ppc computer) has the same problem in the Imac! It falters (is that a good word?)
Please help me. Even in Madagascar it's time to change to HD films.
Thanks,
Coen, Cineroutes Madagascar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]