FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding reel numbers to EOS footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Lieberman
Adding reel numbers to EOS footage
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:52:22 pm

I've recieved all the footage in EOS-5dmkII from my assistant on a hard-drive. I converted the H264 to ProRes Proxy and performed a nice edit in FCP.

Now I want to use Media Manager to remove unwanted footage on the video, essentially to run SmoothCam more efficiently.

I've run into the Reel number issue, and thought it could be solved by adding reel numbers manually in the Browser.

But this seems to create timecode problems, left and right.

- Is there a way to apply Reel numbers to the Proxy footage of my edit, without everything going haywire?

(I imagine I would then have to do a parallel Reel-number adding to the H264 before I reconnect to these)

- Or, perhaps, should I reconnect to my H264 footage first, and then apply reel numbers to those clips only? ..but my question here would remain essentially the same!

Note, I'm aware this is beyond the long-term solution for future projects, which seems to be using Log & Transfer right at the "ingestion" phase... The terminology of the manual is quite obtuse if you have only ever known file-based media (recieving all of your clips in one folder on a hard-drive), but I will duly be reading all about it as soon as I finish this one.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Adding reel numbers to EOS footage
on Jul 4, 2011 at 4:02:37 pm

What happens to the timecode when you change reel numbers? I'd think it shouldn't change at all...

Probably best to just export the sections you want to analyze with smoothcam, reimport them, then edit these sections into the sequence and smooth cam them...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 4, 2011 at 4:29:12 pm

[Gary Lieberman] "I converted the H264 to ProRes Proxy and performed a nice edit in FCP."

HOW did you convert to ProRes Proxy? Unless you used Log and Transfer, you won't be able to use the media manager to reimport the footage at full res...ONLY the footage in the cut. You'd have to convert EVERYTHING to full res, then reconnect.

But just adding a reel number to the footage in FCP should work. As long as the footage you are doing it to actually comes from different reels. If you try to add the same reel number to footage from multiple cards, that might cause an issue.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gary Lieberman
on Jul 4, 2011 at 6:10:44 pm

Thanks for your kind answers

HOW did you convert to ProRes Proxy?

Using Mpeg Streamclip, and my clips come in with the Reel number blank... Not sure if EOS gives Reel numbers to begin with though...

As long as the footage you are doing it to actually comes from different reels. If you try to add the same reel number to footage from multiple cards, that might cause an issue.

Indeed, multiple cards were transferred to one folder on a hard-drive, and given to me.

I did not use Log & Transfer, which I'm realizing now I should have... in order to assign a Reel number to the original H264.

Regardless, when I assign a manual Reel number to the Proxies in the browser, I get clip rendering corruption in the first frames of some shots, and others' In/Out points are off when I render out the entire movie in ProRes Proxy...

If I open those clips in QuickTime 7, I can see that there are 2 types of TC - one "Standard", one "Non-Drop Frame", whereas before the manual Reel change, I only had the option of "Standard"

I'm realizing I need to use Log & Transfer in the future, so that the high-res H264 has the same metadata convention (and newly assigned "Reels") that is then retained in the Proxies, and the editing thereof...

For now, just looking for how to assign Reels, after editing without them, if that's possible without confusing FCP...

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:03:22 pm

MPEG Streamclip won't add reel names as there is no reel name in the original file. The EOS log and transfer plug-in will transcode to ProRes and impart timecode to each transcode clip that it derives from the thm files. But the original h.264 do not acquire this time code.

One easy way to 'stripe' Canon files with timecode and reel name is with an app called QTChange at Video Toolshed. I use it. Before transcoding.

In your case, if you now alter the files with QTChange, they will go offline in FCP. Your best bet is to modify the transcoded files from within FCP. You can add reel name to one file in the browser and then highlight many and select a reel name from the dropdown that you get with a right-click in the Reel column.

If you do Clip>Modify to a clip and while changing reel name, the fps drop-down is wrongly set, the clips may get corrupt. Whatever you do, first dupe the project and clips and work on the dupes.

QT Player only shows 'standard' if the clip has no TC in it. Standard is not timecode, its just a 'from zero' counter.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]