FORUMS: list search recent posts

Square Pixels and HD video issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tucker bliss
Square Pixels and HD video issues
on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:27:19 pm

Okay folks, so currently I am putting together my reel in FCP, however I am encountering a few issues. So my source formats are different in pixel aspect ratio, some was shot on the 7D, some on the Alexa, and some on super 16mm, and a few after effects animations. However all of it is HD, and in ProresHQ 422. My problem here is when I imported all of my media into FCP if the timeline is set to square pixels the HD(1440x1080) footage looks squished, and if I set the timeline to HD(1440x1080) the square pixel footage looks super square.

That said, some of the footage from the 7D is labelled as square and some is labelled as HD(1440x1080), and all the after effects stuff is square.

Right now i am dealing with it and just leaving my timeline as green-preview render, so everything looks mostly normal. However whichever format is not that of the timeline, the footage is degraded a tiny bit, so that when I pause the footage it looks great, but in preview it is slightly blurry.

My question is, is there a way to format everything as either square or HD(1440x1080), so it looks normal, or is there a way to use mixed media formats and not have the preview blur. I'm going crazy over here, as I just graduated and am in dire need of a reel so I can begin to apply for jobs, etc....

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Square Pixels and HD video issues
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:30:00 am

If you've transcoded all the source to ProRes the pixel aspect ratio should be square. Even if the originals weren't square. If you render the footage it will look sharp, but if you get it all to the same format first, you shouldn't have to render at all.

Check the clips in the Browser, Make sure they are all ProRes and the same frame size. FWIW 1440X1080 is a frame size for non square media... and should actually be 1920X1080 ProRes Square pixels after the transcode I think.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

tucker bliss
on Jul 4, 2011 at 1:54:04 am

I wish that were the case, all clips have been through compressor and ProresHQ, but even in the browser these clips state their differing pixel aspect ratio. It's strange because the 7D's source material is square pixel h.264, and for some reason a great deal of the footage appears to not be square pixels in its final product. Is there a way to change the pixel aspect ratio in compressor, or a way to override the differing ratios in fcp? I never have this problem in avid, but then again, I hate avid...

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:44:26 pm

You chose Compressor's 1080p setting for all clips when you transcoded them? If so they should ALL be square and all be 1080p clips using ProRes as the codec. Frame rates should be the same too for best results. If you've done things this way, there should be NO difference in size or pixel shape. All square all prores 1080p.

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]