Log and Transfer / GH2 / VLC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Monteiro
Log and Transfer / GH2 / VLC
on Jul 3, 2011 at 10:34:28 pm

Hello,
Everything was going all right till I got this message:
"110630 - Madras" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure..."
Before, I was copying all the files from my GH2 to a folder on the laptop and from there to the Log and Transfer window to edit in FCP - easy.
The only thing I had changed and could be the cause of this message, that blocked access of the files to the Log and Transfer window, was having used VLC to visualize the clips: I selected all the clips from the files, open with, VLC and ticked “Always Open With”. It was much easier to visualize the clips that way.
I noticed that, in Finder, the name of the files hadn’t changed, but now they had the VLC logo behind the name. The “Kind” though had changed from “MPEG Transport Stream” to “MPEG – 2 Transport Stream”.
I decided to test if, in fact, VLC had to do with it. Made a shot, transferred it the usual easy way into FCP and repeat passing through VLC: blocked by the same message. This extreme coincidence made me reason that VLC in some way might have changed the original files so that it blocked me from editing in FCP. Now I don’t have the original files and I don’t know how to reverse the process or if there is a conversion method without degrading the quality of the original files.
I would appreciate any clues that could help me sort this out.
Thank you!
Carlos

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Log and Transfer / GH2 / VLC
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:34:39 am

I don't shoot with that camera, but you should be able to select a clip, then type cmd+i to change the Open with option there. It should lose it's VLC icon. (As that's likely all that VLC changed with the clips). BUT I'm not sure what to set it to, so look at a clip that you didn't open with VLC, and see what it's set to open with... change the first clip to that and select the option to change all clips of that type to the new "open with" application. Might fix you up.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Carlos Monteiro
Re: Log and Transfer / GH2 / VLC
on Jul 4, 2011 at 6:41:05 pm

I thank you Jerry for your help.
I finally managed to solve the problem and I think it didn’t have to do with VLC, my yesterday diagnosis was wrong: I had just arrived from India: not enough sleep.
The problem was that the GH2 generates several files and in two of them (CLIPINF and STREAM) the content was not coincident. I can’t explain why, but it must have to do with me having sent to trash some clips after visualising in VLC. I found the missing parts in trash, fortunately, but I faced a second problem – some of the clips showed with their name changed, can’t understand why, either. I corrected those names and bingo!
Regards,
Carlos Ribas Monteiro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]