FORUMS: list search recent posts

Who needs a Mac if FCP ain't "Pro" no mo'?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Best
Who needs a Mac if FCP ain't "Pro" no mo'?
on Jul 3, 2011 at 1:31:10 pm

Just askin', but I bought a Mac two years ago for the express purpose of running Final Cut Pro. I now have two systems: Windows and Mac. I use the former for everything, but editing. But, used to use it to run Sony Vegas (which I keep current).

So, if it turns out to be true that Final Cut Pro ain't Pro no mo', is there any reason to stay with Apple computers at all?

Avid, Premiere, Vegas, and, of course, all the Adobe Creative Suite programs run on Windows. And I gotta feelin' Lightworks is the real future. And, notwithstanding all the whinging, chest thumping Windows vs. Mac debates of the past, I can't seem much practical difference between the two systems. As time goes by, a cut is still a cut, and fade is still a fade, and this universal rule applies, "It's the story, stupid."

Just askin'.

Regards,
S.

Regards
Stephen Best
http://stephenbest.ca

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Who needs a Mac if FCP ain't "Pro" no mo'?
on Jul 3, 2011 at 2:58:15 pm

Up to You.

I have always enjoyed working on a Mac much more then a WIN machine.
Regardless of FCP.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Pete Appleby
on Jul 3, 2011 at 3:25:40 pm

I really like Win 7 and run it on the mac using VMware Fusion. But I really don't see a long term future for the Mac Pro, given Apple's track record of killing products that don't have a large appeal...

IMO Windows still has a few issues that may never go away. First is the darned registry, seems to be an issue about once a year for me. Probably because I install a lot of development stuff, sometimes beta. Second is the bloatware issue. Because of the way that Windows uses library dlls, they wind up having to save old copies in the winxsx folder. So over time, your hard drive gets more and more copies of files that may or may not be needed.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 3, 2011 at 4:53:43 pm

[Pete Appleby] "
IMO Windows still has a few issues that may never go away. First is the darned registry, seems to be an issue about once a year for me. Probably because I install a lot of development stuff, sometimes beta. Second is the bloatware issue. Because of the way that Windows uses library dlls, they wind up having to save old copies in the winxsx folder. So over time, your hard drive gets more and more copies of files that may or may not be needed."

I've been a windows guy since the days of dos, and have several machines in the house running everything from 98 to 7. My Mac Pro I use to edit with was my first Mac, and when I use my other machines I want to pull my hair out. The freedom of not having to deal with all those issues you mentioned, and more is what makes the Mac a winner. I imagine an 8 core or bigger machine has quite a bit of life left in it, and Final Cut wasn't even using half the available resources. I'm just going to keep running mine for quite a while.
That said, the whole FCP X debacle has left me with a sour taste for apple products, and I don't see myself spending any money with them anytime soon.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 3, 2011 at 5:34:52 pm

I have 4 Mac's.
Since 2003 that I started to edit in a MB I needed to sent one time a Mac to repair.
I live in a place without any kind of professional technical support. The closet shops are at 600 miles.
I could never have survived with a PC.
I buy peace of mind and reliability.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 3, 2011 at 8:02:52 pm

DaVinci Resolve
Autodesk Smoke

There's two reasons to stay on Macs right there.

Plus, Macs are still more stable and reliable than Windows PCs.

If Apple abandons the Mac Pro line I'll be singing a different tune of course.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:19:15 am

From an investment point of view, Mac's retain their value a lot better than PC's. 3 year old Macs are selling for about 50% of their original cost. PC's are doorstops by then pretty much. Mac's aren't as prone to virus' as PC's are. Not because they are better defenders, but because the market share is small enough to not attract the hackers as much. I do believe they cost of ownership is lower because of those two factors. Heck one day down from a virus can cost you. Let alone the resale value if you stay fairly state of the art.

FCP 7 will run on your computer for a long time I'd think yet. So it's not as if it gets erased or something, It's just that it won't be further developed other than to run in Lion if it's needs to be tweaked for that at all. Looks to me as if FCP 7 will run on the next generation of tech from Apple, so has at least a life of a couple of years on state of the art hardware and OS from Apple. For example I'm running it just fine on a new i7 MacBook Pro, so I don't see why it wouldn't run on the next gen tower. I also have a G4 tower running FCP 4.5 that in a pinch I could still use if I had to.

Avid, Adobe and Autodesk's Smoke run on Macs, so it's not as if there's no other NLE software for Macs that will be continued to be developed. FCP X is a 1.0 release, and so has room to grow for sure. Maybe by the time you really can't use FCP 7, FCP X will work for you or not. Either way, you've got some time I'd think.

Last time I checked, if you order a PC from a major manufacturer (Dell, Gateway, HP) it doesn't cost less than an equivalent Mac... If you build it yourself, you can save some money, but you lose support from a single vendor that way.

One thing is for sure. I've never known anybody that switched to Mac from PC's and didn't prefer the Mac OS... don't know many who went back to PC's. The more I think about it, I don't know anybody that went back to PC's because they weren't satisfied with the Mac's experience. That says something about the situation too I believe.

Other than those statements, there's no reason to run Mac's.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 4, 2011 at 1:23:53 am

Software should be the determinant of both OS and hardware. I chose Final Cut so bought a grunty MacPro. Otherwise I have PCs with Win XP to run Fairlight for audio post. My ftp/web server runs under Linux as does my office computer. I have various NAS units that also run Linux kernels.

Everything is networked but only the office Ubuntu machine and the Mac are on the internet. The WIN machines are dedicated to audio so only relevant software goes on and all the bloat and registry problems never manifest. No need to run anti virus software either. You can't browse or write emails but you don't need to.

The Linux office machine is the front end to the web and it also handles interfacing all different disk formats plus it offers a heap of really useful open source tools that are useful in picture and sound post.

If I change from Final Cut, then again, I will optimise the best hardware and software for that choice. It is likely to stay Mac and Adobe because I want to stick with Color and eventually da Vinci. With da Vinci I can run also Linux, which I could run with my Mac Pro hardware.

So lots of options, but for me the advantage of the Mac has been the limited hardware options which makes it easier to write stable software for. The WIN platform suffers instability because there is too many hardware variables. However, running Fairlight on limited approved hardware with a pared back WIN install has shown me that it is just as stable and easy to use as Mac. For mine, Linux has proven to be the best OS choice for general purpose.

My order of preference -

Stability and operation-
Linux
Mac
Win

Cost effectiveness -
Linux
WIN
Mac

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved