FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding 7D footage on MPEG Streamclip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandra MacArthur
Transcoding 7D footage on MPEG Streamclip
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:59:55 pm

I've been trying to transcode my 7D footage on MPEG Streamclip. Some clips have been transcoded, but others are saying 'writing error'. Do you know why this might be? Also, do you know of any other good free transcoding software?

Thanks a million!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Transcoding 7D footage on MPEG Streamclip
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:17:21 pm

Final Cut Pro does it via Log and Transfer. Just install the log and transfer plugin. I have a link here: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

And then there is Magic Bullet Grinder. That is actually GREAT software. Not free, but worth the price.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Evans
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:21:23 am

or use compressor

Return to posts index

Ryan Gorcester
on Jul 8, 2011 at 10:10:59 pm

do NOT use log and transfer. It is buggy as all hell and will only transcode part of your clips, resulting in a mess and confusion and loss of data. Log and transfer, even if it did work, still wouldn't fix this problem. The reason you are having this problem is probably because the drive you are encoding to is formatted FAT32, which has a maximum file size of around 4GB. So the clips that are short enough to be encoded in the format you want and still be under 4GB are successful, but then the ones that are too long fail as soon as they hit 4GB. Your options are:

Encode to a different hard drive that is formatted something other than FAT32, if you're using mac that probably means "MAC OS EXTENDED".

OR

Copy the things you need off of the hard drive you are trying to encode to, go to disk utility, and format it for MAC os extended. Then you can put your things back on it and try the encode again.

Return to posts index

Matthew Conrad
on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:52:16 am

Ryan Gorcester is on the money. Try using a better external hard drive. I was using a Lacie Rugged external and it went pear shaped. Then I used a 8TB thunderbolt only G Raid and the conversion appears to be successful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]