FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP exporting quicktime 60p 24p fps?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Roman Jr
FCP exporting quicktime 60p 24p fps?
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:55:34 pm

hey guys...newbie here.

question about frame rate on a sequence that has mixed footage.

so i have some 720p 60p footage slowed down to 24p....also have 720p 60p normal speed. also 1080 24p normal speed footage all in one sequence. the sequence settings are 720p 60p. everything plays fine almost as if fcp already downscales the 1080p footage to fit and play correctly. however, since the sequence is 60p and has 24p footage in itas well as 60p how does it play w/o problems?

also, i export with quicktime conversion, now learned not to, but for my settings the frame rate is set for 24frames...will this now change the playback for the 60p footage?

i am new to the exporting stuff. to me and probably to the general public my final export seems to play fine w/ the 60p and 24p footage together. besides some shots having better resolution would you say everything is now playing back @ 24p? i really cant tell the difference but just by tech specs....would it since i exported w/ 24p framerate? something tells me it is not the correct way so im looking for some guidance. thanks guys please help, i am just trying to get a more professional workflow and understanding of framerates and exporting.

my new process for shooting would be anything realtime 108024p anything slo mo 720p 60p

using 7d.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: FCP exporting quicktime 60p 24p fps?
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:28:12 pm

[William Roman Jr] "since the sequence is 60p and has 24p footage in itas well as 60p how does it play w/o problems? "

It works because FCP is inserting extra frames to the 24p footage to make it play back properly in a 60p sequence.

The technique used for displaying 24fps footage in a 30fps video signal is called 3:2 pulldown, or "telecine." It's how film has been recorded on video for years. Prior to the availability of HD cameras that could record native 24p footage on memory cards, cameras recorded 24p over a 29.97 interlaced signal by adding 3:2 pulldown. If you were to step through a clip shot in this manner one frame at a time, you would see a pattern of three whole progressive frames followed by two "split" interlaced frames. For a detailed explanation of the process, check out this link:

http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/index.html#24pRecording

In 720p there is inherently no interlacing, so the process is done using duplicate frames. If you drop 24p footage in a 60p sequence, then step through it frame-by-frame, you will notice a repeating pattern of 3 identical frames followed by 2 identical frames in a repeating cadence.

Final Cut Pro has the ability to automatically add 3:2 progressive pulldown to 24p footage in a 60p sequence. However, It does not have the ability to do this properly with interlaced footage, either 29.97 SD or 1080i HD. If you try to put native 24p footage into a 29.97 SD sequence or a 1080i60 HD sequence, FCP will simply add a duplicate frame, which results in a stuttering look. This is known as 2:2:2:4 pulldown, and is visually unacceptable.

If native 24p footage is going to be placed in a 29.97 SD or 1080i60 HD sequence, proper 3:2 pulldown (interlaced) must be added in another application such as Compressor or After Effects.

Return to posts index

William Roman Jr
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:40:38 pm

thanks for the helpful information.

how about exporting that 60p sequence w/ quicktime conversion with the frame rate set at 24? what does it do to the compressed movie?

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:26:09 pm

[William Roman Jr] "how about exporting that 60p sequence w/ quicktime conversion with the frame rate set at 24? what does it do to the compressed movie?"

It won't work as well as using Compressor. If your footage is a mix of 24p and 60p and you want to end up with a 24p file, use Compressor for the best results.

What is your delivery format? Web? DVD?

1. Export a Quicktime movie of your sequence (not Quicktime conversion) and then open the exported file in Compressor. Apply a compression preset that matches your intended delivery method.

2. In the Encoder tab of the Inspector window, click on video settings and set the frame rate to 23.98.

3. Turn on Frame Controls in the Frame Control tab, set Resize Filter to Best, set Output Fields to progressive, and set Rate Conversion to Better. Leave Duration at 100%.

4. In the Geometry tab, set the pixel aspect to square for web output or NTSC CCIR 601/DV (16:9) for DVD output.

5. Encode.

Return to posts index

William Roman Jr
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:02:05 pm

Alan you are the man, I just learned compressor is the way to go thanks for helping me with the exact settings as well.

now a mix of 60p n 24p on a 60p sequence, exported in the 23.98 will make the file play at 24fps as possible correct? now this is a mimick of 24fps? the 60p footage will now play and have the 24fps look? sorry for so many questions, u just have all the answers.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:43:22 am

[William Roman Jr] "a mix of 60p n 24p on a 60p sequence, exported in the 23.98 will make the file play at 24fps as possible correct? "

Correct.

[William Roman Jr] "now this is a mimick of 24fps?"

The native 24p footage will be 24p, and the (formerly) 60p footage will be converted to 24p by Compressor's Optical Flow technology.

[William Roman Jr] "the 60p footage will now play and have the 24fps look? "

Yes, but you'll have to test to see if there are any visible artifacts in the conversion. It will certainly look better than simply using Quicktime conversion from FCP.

By the way, you can set in and out points in Compressor if you want to encode a short test sample. You can simply type I and O in the viewer window at the desired in and out points, or drag the in and out sliders.

Return to posts index

Reynoir Lewis
on Sep 18, 2013 at 4:16:47 pm

I want to thank you a MILLION times over for this info Alan!!!!!!! You just saved my life in more ways than one because i could not for the life of me figure out how to do this and had a client project almost due.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 18, 2013 at 7:21:13 pm

Wow, that thread is two years old! Your Cow searching abilities are an inspiration to us all. Glad you found the information helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]