FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Morrow
Motion 5
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:42:53 am

How can I use Motion 4 again for round tripping in FCP Studio, without deleting 5? Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Motion 5
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:30:54 am

If you installed FCP X and Motion 5 as a recommended clean install on a new drive, then you would have FCS3 untouched on the ALT boot drive or at least a clone that you can use to restore from.

David Roth Weiss produced a tutorial before FCP X was released to make sure anyone who wanted to try would be able to have an escape path back to their FCS3 setup.

If you installed Motion 5 over Motion 4 and you have FCP X and FCS3 on the one drive, I don't know how you can restore Motion 4 without a messy reinstall of FCS3. At this point you might have to do a clean install of FCS3 & SL onto a new drive as recommended. At this stage the software update to get it back to the latest 7.0.3, and the latest Motion and Color etc is available online, but it won't last long. See similar threads on that to get the pro app update downloaded while you can.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:39:03 pm

[Patrick Morrow] "How can I use Motion 4 again for round tripping in FCP Studio, without deleting 5? Thanks so much."

Try this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4722

Restore the Final Cut Studio (2009) applications to their original location

Follow these steps to move the Final Cut Studio (2009) applications to their original location while still being able to use Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4 on the same system.

Create a folder called "Final Cut Pro X" (without quotations) in your Applications folder.
Drag the Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 apps into the Final Cut Pro X folder you created.
When prompted, type your administrator password.
Locate the Final Cut Studio folder in the Applications folder. Modify the permissions on the Final Cut Studio folder by selecting it and choosing File > Get Info.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of "Sharing & Permissions" to show the permissions for the Final Cut Studio folder (if they are not already visible).
Click the lock icon in the lower-right corner of the window.
When prompted, type your administrator password.
For the "admin" entry, click the current privilege setting and choose "Read & Write." Close the Get Info window.
Drag the contents of the Final Cut Studio folder into the Applications folder.
Open Motion 4 (now located in the Applications folder). After it opens completely, quit Motion 4.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:43:39 pm

Excellent find Alan. Big question remains though, which Motion will FCS3 send to? Round tripping may still be a problem.

Also future upgrades to FCP X might just as easily break things again.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:37:44 am

[Michael Gissing] "Excellent find Alan. Big question remains though, which Motion will FCS3 send to? Round tripping may still be a problem."

There is definitely no round tripping between FCP 7 (or earlier) and Motion 5. If you can believe it, there isn't even round tripping between FCP X and Motion 5!

I don't know if having installed Motion 5 will break round tripping between FCP 7 and Motion 4. You'll just have to test it, I guess...

Return to posts index

Tomas Rugevicius Rugys
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:08:44 pm

Motion 5 tries to pick up when "Launch Motion" on Send menu is selected in FCP 7.

But if you do "send to Motion project" command without selecting "Launch Motion", you can open this sent project manually with Motion 4 - it works as usual. And later on "Open in Editor" command work with Motion 4.

Maybe somebody will figure out what to tweak to make it work as before Motion 5.

Return to posts index

Tina Nichols Coury
Re: Motion 5 and Motion 4
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:42:58 pm

Yesterday I bought a 11 inch Macbook air to take on the road with me. I download Motion 5 off the internet, but when I used it I didn't like it as much as my motion 4 that I have CD's on. I was going to file share from my 17 inch MacPro. Two questions. Do I have to dump the new motion 5 to install the motion 4? Do I also have to install the entire 6 discs of final cut pro to download motion 4? I tend to edit book trailers in Imovie 11 so I really don't need and I must say know how to use, Final Cut Pro.

Any suggestions? Am I the only one who likes Motion 4 better?

Return to posts index

Adam Grossman
Motion 5 and Motion 4
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:41:17 pm

I want to be able to roundtrip with FCP7 and Motion4, but when I send a clip to Motion it opens M5 and of course that's the end of the round trip.

Anyone know how to get FCP7 to send to M4 and keep M5 as a standalone?

Thank you...
Adam

Adam Grossman
Good Dog Media

Return to posts index

Adam Grossman
on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:06:03 am

I was frustrated by this, too. Here's my workaround:

Copy M5 to a separate drive— in my case, I have a partition with Snow Leopard as David Roth Weiss recommends.

REMOVE M5 entirely from the system drive. Open FCP and check that it roundtrips with M4 (it should as long as you haven't deleted M4).

Check that you can open M5 from the other drive.

Now you will be able to roundtrip between FCP and M4 and use M5 as a standalone.

Adam Grossman
Good Dog Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]