FORUMS: list search recent posts

Install Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lewis
Install Problem
on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:11:52 pm

Hi folks. I have an up-to-date, fully functioning version of Final Cut Studio 2 running on my machine (FCP 6.0.6). I want to do a clean install on a full version of FCS3 on a different internal drive. The reasons for this are manifold, the main ones being that I am deep into a project in FCP 6 and don't want to risk any problems in an upgrade because I will no longer get any support from Apple, but I want to get FCP 7 working so I can be compatible with post-houses. My plan was to copy the project file and try to upgrade the project to FCP 7 while still keeping a fully functioning FCP 6 project. Also, my FCP 6 is itself an upgrade of an upgrade, since version 3, and I want a stable, clean, full install of 7 as my legacy program until FCP X becomes a professional-grade program (or should I say if FCP X becomes a pro-grade program.)

I went to considerable expense to do this, but the install disk won't let me. It skips over the destination select, and when it gets to the install page it shows most of the programs being upgraded, not installed clean.

Is there any way to set this up so I can install the new version without deleting the old version and have both operating correctly? Without any support from Apple, I am deathly afraid of screwing up the project I am in, and if I delete FCP 6 I'm not sure I will be able to reinstall it because I will need several generations of serial #s.

Suggestions? As always, many thanks, in advance.

David

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Install Problem
on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:13:41 pm

David Roth Weiss covered this when FCS3 became available and he recently did a tutorial on installing FCP X. Best advice is to never do an OS or FCS update, always make a clean install.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1050273

This was his original advice on doing a ground up install of OS and FCS3 on a clean drive after cloning your original system drive. My advice is to buy a new drive and install it in your machine. Do a clean install and make the drive bootable. Then when your system starts you can ALT boot and choose which drive to boot to. Your old FCS2 system is locked in and the drive is available to transfer project files, fonts etc to the new drive which is the clean install of SL and FCS3. Don't update SL to 10.6.8 as people have reported problems with that version. It is only for FCP X users.

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:41:11 am

Michael, so so many thanks! (and David.) That's exactly what I wanted to do and the directions I needed. It's taken a while, but so far so good. I have snow leopard up to 10.6.7 and the new, clean install of FCS 3 / FCP 7 up and running, both on a separate internal hard drive.

my problem now: the new boot drive doesn't recognize the project's dedicated scratch disk. it's a 2 tb g-tech and it still works perfectly on the original system drive, with fcp 6.0.6. why would that be? is the scratch disk formatted to a previous version so that even the OS can't see it? crazy stuff, hours of testing. so close. can't wait to click on that project file and see it open in the final cut of final cut. please advise! any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

best,
D.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:53:21 am

Make sure you have installed the latest Snow Leopard drivers for the G-Tech.

Close FCP without saving, download and install new drivers, reboot and then see if the drive comes up in disk utility before opening FCP. It should and then you can set is as scratch and open your projects which should connect correctly.

When Sl first came out there were w whole lot of external drives, particularly esata drives that didn't have correct drivers. Also make sure your OS is booting as 32 bit.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:36:16 am

David,

I'm not a big FCP/mac user but have had to run it to maintain compatibility with other FCP users.

I've always booted from and run the OS and applications from external drives. These being 'cloneable' via CCC I've been able to keep working Panther/Tiger/Leopard etc together with the various versions of FCP.

Alan (London)

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on Jun 29, 2011 at 12:23:59 pm

hmmmm good idea but no luck with that. updated the driver, still not mounting, although it does still mount on the main system drive. will have to call g-tech, i suppose, when they open on the west coast. thanks!

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:32:42 pm

ah okay, I figured it ou -- forgot to install drivers for the sata card! d'oh.....thanks for your help, all.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:32:43 pm

[David Lewis] "forgot to install drivers for the sata card! d'oh"

As suspected. Glad you got it sorted. Now like all of us here, it might be wise to clone your new drive and put it on the shelf for future proofing as FCS3 is the end of the line at this stage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]