FORUMS: list search recent posts

Insane render times on properly formatted sequence in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxwell Federman
Insane render times on properly formatted sequence in FCP 7
on Jun 27, 2011 at 2:21:16 pm

So I am working with some video I imported using the Log and Transfer dialog. I took care to make certain that my sequences are set to match the formatting used to import the footage (ProRes 422HQ, 1920x1080 Square Pixels, Progressive).

Naturally the source footage plays without needing to be rendered-- however the clips themselves are green screen clips; so I have applied the Chroma Key filter as well as a BCC Composite Choker tool used to clean up the key. Below the clips is a simple gradient I created in the timeline using the gradient tool from the Video Generators folder. At various points throughout these sequences there are also some titles and lower third graphics.

So here's the problem-- 48 hr render times on a 10 minute sequence?!

Is this normal? I'm admittedly not using the world's fastest computer 2.4 GHz i5 Intel MacBook Pro with 4 GB RAM.

But am I missing some critical step that would speed things up?

I figured that the key would involve some pretty serious render times; which is in part why I decided to use a static background.

One more thing to factor in-- I am using FireWire 800 drives to store my source media as well as the render files.

Any advice?

thanks for even taking the time to read this post; I hope its not a dumb question.

Max

Maxwell Federman
Owner

Capitol City Media
Austin, TX USA

http://www.capitolcitymedia.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: Insane render times on properly formatted sequence in FCP 7
on Jun 27, 2011 at 2:34:03 pm

It's not a dumb question. I work on MBP myself and I did encounter the fact that BCC Plugs often need a crazy amount of render time. Are you working with AE? Might be faster there.
Try once to dumb the BCC - does it speed up a lot?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Maxwell Federman
on Jun 27, 2011 at 3:35:48 pm

Wow this has made a huge difference! Thanks a lot for your help Sascha!

I noticed while reading over the post that I failed to mention I was also using the BCC Chroma Key instead of the quicktime keyer that comes bundled in the FCP filters.

I'm impressed at how well the FCP keyer works; I had got into the habit of just using Boris tools from my many years of using Media 100i systems.

I have some upcoming projects wherein I will be using the BCC Cartoon Look filter, so perhaps I will use AE to process the cartoon effect-- I try to avoid AE all together because it is a pain as opposed to using Boris RED composition clips or BCC filters right in the timeline. Perhaps because the runtime of most the projects I use these tools for are short (30sec spot, music video etc.) I have gotten away with it-- but for these 12 hour-long training videos it would have taken much too long.

Thanks again for your wonderful advice-- it means a lot to me!

Maxwell Federman
Owner

Capitol City Media
Austin, TX USA

http://www.capitolcitymedia.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 27, 2011 at 3:51:18 pm

Happy to help :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>