FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM - EX3 offline FCP online AVID? Why is this so painful?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Gretz
XDCAM - EX3 offline FCP online AVID? Why is this so painful?
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:50:17 am

Hello CreativeCOW!

This is my first post and I hope someone can help me.

I'm a Field Producer for a long-running show that has been using beta since forever. Our production purchased a XDCAM PMW-EX3 at the end of last season and we haven't used it on any of our field shoots yet, but I'm hoping we will be able to this season. Here's my problem...

Our show is delivered on AVID to the broadcaster in SD.
I cut my stories on the road in FCP 6.0.6 and use Automatic Duck to deliver an OMF to our online Avid editors. It's worked fine for three years, although I do get the odd complaint from one editor that if I used Avid I could just give him a finished sequence and he wouldn't have to digitize any tapes...fair enough.
I also have Avid Media Composer on my computer but I never use it and I don't have a Mojo.

1. How do I import clips into FCP or AVID? Here's what someone at my office said to do -

Connect EX3 to computer via USB cable provided.
Turn on EX3
Media cards should appear on desktop
Create folders on desktop for media
Create another folder inside first folder with project name
Create another folder for each card used
Copy media into designated folder

Start XDCAM Clip browser
Import media into clip browser
Review clips for export
Create folder for exported clips
Export desired clips as MXF for NLE

Open Avid
Start 30i NTSC project
Import clips from export folder
Assemble sequence
Transcode sequence
Export sequence as an AAF

My question is, if I'm exporting an AAF to my online Avid editors anyway, why can't I just do the same from FCP. Is it just that they don't want the inconvenience of digitizing our BETA tapes? If it's tapeless media I'm using from the XDCAM, isn't that argument not to take my FCP timeline irrelevant?

One last question...if we interview someone and I'm using the XDCAM on the subject and my cameraman is using BETACAM on the reporter, when I go to do my edit, that's going to be a nightmare right?

Thanks so much,
Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]