FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just a simple Thank You to all in this forum

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Just a simple Thank You to all in this forum
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:39:10 pm

Hi all!

Just wanted to say a very simple Thank You to everyone in this Cowmmunity past and present. I've hung my hat in this very forum ever since there's been a Creative Cow website. But like everything, all goods things come to an end.

It's been a pleasure working with all of you, hopefully I've given a little bit of useful advice along the way. Can't thank all of you enough who have taken the time at events like NAB to shake my hand and let me know what we all do in this entire Cowmmunity is useful to you.

I'll still on the Cow in the Business and Marketing forum, the Color forum (while it still works!) and a few others. Once we settle on our new NLE I'll pull up a hay bale in that forum as well. And I'll still pop in from time to time to help out with FCP 7 and earlier questions.

And who knows, depending on where the product line goes over the next few years, maybe I'll see you again with FCPXII or XIII or....

So again, Thank You to all of you and please keep making this the best darn FCP Cowmmunity on the planet.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Just a simple Thank You to all in this forum
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:44:19 pm

That's a little extreme, isn't it, Walter? I mean, I can certainly sympathize with your feelings this week. Feels like a death in the family, very unsettling. Still, the people who were making a living on FCS3 and FCP7 last week didn't go anywhere. (Of course, now they can't, but..) They wil be cutting today and tomorow and for some time to come, using what they have now. And we sometimes need help or advice. It would be a great loss if we could no longer tap into your knowledge of FCP.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:12:48 pm

Nope, nothing extreme at all. I've been planning to move away from FCP 7 for about 6 months now. Was hoping that FCP X would allow us to move to that platform, but after the show in April, it was obvious that we would have to move elsewhere to get the functionality and efficiency we want.

I did wait for the public release to see what exactly was there. The fact that we will never be able to open an old FCP project inside FCPX is the complete deal breaker for me, and for a lot of broadcast houses that contacted me yesterday. We still open projects from 4 - 6 years ago due to the nature of news and documentary programming we do. Oddly enough FCP projects open up very easily in Premiere with no third party tools so that's a huge advantage for us. Plus there's literally nothing for us to change in our shop except the software we launch. It works with all our hardware, storage and the software apps we use here including Apple Color.

It's what I've said on this very forum numerous times. If the tool doesn't work for you, find something that does. FCP X does not work for us now and won't for the foreseeable future. FCP 7 is too inefficient working with digital formats, has been for over a year.

So we need more efficiency today to make us more productive today. We are testing Adobe Premiere right now because we own it and have already learned more about CS6 than I have ever heard about FCP X or its future iterations. We will also test Avid if they give us the AJA Kona support.

So no, nothing more extreme than me moving from 3/4" to BetaSP to D2 to CMX 3600 to Abekas A34 to Accom Axial 2010 and 2020 to Avid to Media 100 to Final Cut Pro to ___________

I've been at this editing game for 20 years. There's only one constant to this game and game of life. Change. Besides, this forum is not about any one person, it's about the community. Every person who contributes here gives knowledge that someone else can use.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:57:05 pm

Do send a postcard !

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:41:23 pm

Thank you for all your words of wisdom over the years, Walter.

I too will probably stop frequenting this forum as often as I have.

Over the next year or two I now have to transition what used to be a facility with a 50/50 split between FCP and Avid to an Avid only facility. I hope Avid still have their $999 offer on for FCP users. They're going to make a killing (I also hope that Avid Media Composer 6 will support Kona LHi - because we have a few). I wonder how easy it will be for our Avid's to use an Xsan for their storage??

Just 2 years ago we expanded our business to a 20 room facility and the original plan was for it to be top to bottom Final Cut Pro. Mac Pro's with Kona card's, 64TB Xsan, 6 Apple Xserve's, dual Apple Cinema Display's in every room, Mac Mini's and iMac's for the clients. At the last minute we changed our mind and swapped half the FCPs for PC based Avids. And I am so glad we did now. I really wouldn't like to be in charge of a facility filled with 20 FCP systems today.

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:46:13 pm

Certainly the end of an era, good luck with switching your systems over and hopefully you'll share some of those experiences over on other forums

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:41:01 pm

thanks for everything Walter.

I've learned a lot from you and I know there were times I was in a crunch with a problem or a looming deadline and something you posted helped me through it.

-Chris

Return to posts index

John Knapich
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:53:46 pm

Well, thanks for all the valuable info you have passed on in the past.
I for one will be interested in where you end up in the Premiere vs Avid debate. As a former Avid editor I will lean that way, but will certainly give Premiere a good look. As with any software or pro platform, will also need to consider the supporting plug ins, software (color correction) etc.
thanks again

FCP 6.06, OS 10.5.8 2x3GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Kona LHe, Dulce Duo-eSATA 8 Drive, 4TB Raid.

John Knapich
Creative Director/Partner
Assembypix.tv

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:27:14 pm

Hi
You left the Cinewave forum, but did you disappear - hell no!
I even remember your Lamborghini edit - those were the days....

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:03:30 pm

Wow, the Lamborghini edit, what an..... uh..... interesting project that was. Still have the framed DVDs sitting up on the wall.

Thanks to you and everyone else who has commented on this thread. Means a lot. :)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:48:50 pm

Walter I'm very sorry to hear that.
You know that since the april presentation I've been trying to convince everybody - starting by my self - that Apple wouldn't let us down.
I feel like a fool.
Your decision on FCX tells me much more than any of the articles the "paper gurus" have been writing for last few days.

I think both of us reached the same point.
I'm lucky that I'm not pressed decision on which way to take, but sure, I'm not interested in Apple's reinvention of Video Editing.
I will try to keep the Forum going on (as long as I see makes sense), but anyway without you around and without updates and new challenges, this won't be the same.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Monica F.P.Williams
on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:43:30 pm

Thank you, Walter,
over the years I treasured your sharing of knowledge. Lot of times reading your tutorials
saved me from making stupid mistakes...
I'll stick with FCS3 until i can but eventually I will too move on, Avid? Premiere? Not sure yet.

Ciao
Monica

Monica F.P.williams
crocodile editing
web: http://www.crocodileediting.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:21:22 am

Thanks Walter. I suspect I will join you at Premiere and Color forums. I can afford to freeze my system for a short while as most editors who are feeding on to me to finish are doing the same and sticking with standard FCS3 workflows. Anyone going FCP X can't export so nothing for me to do in grade & sound post for them. I don't edit so I have zero need to buy FCP X.

At this stage Premiere looks a better fit with the XML workflow for finishing FCS/CS5/Color timelines to go to tape. Might take the opportunity to learn AE.

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:46:12 am

Walter,
Thanks for all your help here at the FCP Forum. Looking forward to continue reading your "Transition" blog. I am sure I will see you around the cow.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

Rahul Duggal
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:26:15 am

Thanks for being here for the rookies and pros alike . Hopefully, we will see you again ;)

Adios !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]