FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP: "unable to open project file" error

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Hyde
FCP: "unable to open project file" error
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:32:22 pm

I recently purchased an external hard drive to do all my editing on. I'm using it as the capture scratch disk and simply as the place to keep all my projects. It was working fine, but after shutting FCP down I can't open those projects anymore. There are a ton of streams online where others have experienced this problem, but no solutions I can find. Can anyone help? All the data is still there, I just can't access it. Thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

Dan Marlow
Re: FCP: "unable to open project file" error
on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:32:09 pm

Hi. Had this error today myself, but on autosave project files. found that manually adding .fcp to the end made it work. Somewhere else i saw it mentioned that you should name it a .txt file, then name it .fcp.

Return to posts index

Ken Hyde
on Jun 27, 2011 at 3:34:31 pm

Thanks, Dan. I tried manually adding .fcp and it didn't work. Regardless, I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

Return to posts index

Dan Marlow
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:03:30 pm

No trouble. One other thought - have you tried getting it from the autosave vault?

Return to posts index

Ken Hyde
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:18:54 pm

Yes. That's why I'm so frustrated. I purchased this external hard drive to keep all the media off my computer's drive. So, when I started the project, I went into the System Settings and changed the capture scratch and all the related documents to be saved onto the external drive. Therefore, the autosave vault is on the external as well. All of the autosave files are there and that's where I tried to mess with the extension and retrieve the project, but I just keep getting the error message.

I know everything is there, but for some reason FCP and the external drive just aren't communicating. When I first purchased the drive, I had some trouble configuring it, but I thought I had that worked out. Apparently that's not the case.

I apologize for rambling. I hope the explanation isn't too incoherent.

Return to posts index

Dan Marlow
on Jun 27, 2011 at 9:06:26 pm

Not at all. What a nightmare. The only other thing I could suggest is FCS maintenance - http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsmaintenance/
it has a project repair app included, and is free for a trial period.

Return to posts index

Johannes Strømme
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:02:33 pm

Thanks Dan! you just saved me hours of work.

Return to posts index

Dan Marlow
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:05:38 pm

Really? Glad to help!

Return to posts index

Will Reed
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:43:08 pm

This consistently happens to me. With both FCP 6 and 7. I think it has something to do with the external hard drive. Mine will enter it's own sleep mode then wake itself up and for whatever reason I think doing that consistently corrupts the project files. It's never seemed to damage the media files however. I am going to start ejecting the drive once I am finished using and see if that fixes the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]