FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upset Final Cut 7 User

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve McLeod
Upset Final Cut 7 User
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:44:16 am

How many of us are there that just purchased Final Cut Pro 7 for full purcahse price and now find that we can get a better product for a third of the price.
Not to mention could have purchaed product under student discout ( son is in college) but decided to do the right thing. Now Apple wants to charge full price for new version. Basically some of us are paying $1200.00 in less than 2 months to get what other will get for 299.00.
Purcahsed software in April, however did not recive Mac (ordered at sametime) until almost May.

Does apple have no sense of moral obligation !

Frustrated Final Cut 7 - New User

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Upset Final Cut 7 User
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:04:06 am

If you want to sell your FCP7, I would be interested in it.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:14:43 am

Steve,

Spend some time reading forum posts here and in the FCP X forum and then you will realise that FCP X is not a better product for many of us. If you only needed the facility that FCP X offers, then you should have bought iMovie in March. It is almost identical to FCP X and cheaper.

meanwhile, sell your FCS3 package. I bet you will get full price or better.

Return to posts index

Steve McLeod
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:10:08 pm

Thanks,

As I said I am new too this. My reason for buying FCP was so I could be compatible with other experienced editors and do the very basics. Then hand it off to them to work the magic. More like on offline edit ( in the old days ). I guess one quustion I would have is can a user for the Suite 3 open a FCP file from X.
I would expect long time users would also be upset haveing there Proffesional product distibuted to any home user at off the store shelf prices.

Return to posts index

Dylan Reeve
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:50:33 am

At this stage there is no way at all to hand a project from FCP X to an editor on any other system (including FCP 7).

No one is upset about the professional product being sold to at a consumer price - because the new product is not the same as the old professional FCP.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:18:52 pm

[Dylan Reeve] "No one is upset about the professional product being sold to at a consumer price - because the new product is not the same as the old professional FCP."

FXP X occupies only 2.14Gb total disk space on a hard drive - unless the developers at Apple are magicians or alchemists it would be pretty hard for FCP X to be the same as "the old professional FCP."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:21:11 pm

This workflow could not be achieved with FCPX. It will work fine with FCP7, and would with several other less expensive options. But you have FCP7, its a great piece of software for what you want to do, and there will be no translation issues going to an FCP7 post facility.

Cheers

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Steve McLeod
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:58:10 am

Give me a day or so and I would be happy to wok out a deal.
You can also reach me at skidazys@yahoo.com

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:56:40 am

Not to fuel a fire, but how did you not know Final Cut X was coming out? it's been publicized fairly well.

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:59:39 am

Don't sweat it anyways. Final Cut 7 is a very efficient program, we don't even know what version X is or is not capable of.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:27:10 am

[Steve McLeod] "How many of us are there that just purchased Final Cut Pro 7 for full purcahse price and now find that we can get a better product for a third of the price."
What better application are you talking about?
Have you tried FCX?
That may be "a better application" in a few years time.

If you are interested in FCX, I can sell you mine with a discount.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve McLeod
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:08:54 pm

Like I mention I was new to the MAC & FCP (somewhat). However I did know about the rumor at the time however when I asked for more details at the Apple store they could not give me any details ie: When it was coming out and most importantly what form it was going to come out in. Was it going to be stripped version of the real thing or a new version of the Pro version. It was also implied there would be some upgrade path and to be honest there is it just cost $300.00.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:31:10 pm

[Steve McLeod] "Basically some of us are paying $1200.00 in less than 2 months to get what other will get for 299.00."

Relax. You're making the assumption that newer is better, and in this case, that simply isn't true. There is a whole litany of differences between FCP X and Final Cut SUITE 3 -- which you have -- that are making veteran FCP users smell a big, fat, stinky rat.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve McLeod
Re: Upset Final Cut 7 User - Better Now
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:52:24 pm

I have to give credit where credit is do, after a couple phone calls to Apple Business they did agree to comp. me the upgrade.
It was based on two reason's I missed the automatic update period by 2 days and when I ordered the FCP I also ordered my Mac took 3 - 4 weeks to arrive so I couldn't even load Final cut until almost May.

I want to thank everyone for the feedback as I am sure as I move forward I will be reading more post's. The one thing that came through load and clear is FCP X is not the same product as FCP 7.03.
However I did ask at the Apple Store if the are still selling the older version and they are not and the only upgrades going forward will be for FCP X.
If FCP X doesn't have the muscle for high end user's they must have another plan comming ...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Upset Final Cut 7 User - Better Now
on Jul 5, 2011 at 11:13:57 pm

[Steve McLeod] "If FCP X doesn't have the muscle for high end user's they must have another plan comming ..."

Consider that the REAL money coming into Apple's coffers is from iStuff: iPad, iPhone, etc.

So would that other plan happen to be the abandonment of high-end, high-power users like feature film editors, production houses, broadcast facilities and the like?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]