FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping audio timecode while converting from WAV to AIFF

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sivan Geyr
Keeping audio timecode while converting from WAV to AIFF
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:58:47 pm

simple question: can i keep audio timecode or assign timecode to an AIFF file after it was converted from WAV? i'm using final cut studio 2.

If not, here's another question some of you might have an answer to: while i know that there is very to no difference between using WAV and AIFF files in final cut, I am wondering what kind of problems using WAV files might lead to, and in more specific could sending a FCP project (with WAV audio) to a post production house cause problems?

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: Keeping audio timecode while converting from WAV to AIFF
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:15:50 pm

Probably your best bet is to stick with WAV files. I haven't heard of this causing any problems down the road. I just finished a show that was all WAVs from Hard Disk recorder. The audio post guys imported my OMFs with no issues.

Just make sure you've set up your system properly when you ingest the media. See the second half of my tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/4

AFAIK, you can't stamp AIFF files with timecode metadata, period. Unless I'm mistaken, this is a limitation of the file format.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:14:44 pm

[Matt Lyon] "AFAIK, you can't stamp AIFF files with timecode metadata, period. Unless I'm mistaken, this is a limitation of the file format."

Correct. Wav files can have a metadata extension to embed timecode info. This is referred to as broadcast wav and if you have files with that metadata, converting them to aif throws away all the timecode data as aif cannot carry timecode info.

As Matt says, properly imported wavs work in FCP and ALL pro audio DAWs read broadcast wav files properly.

Return to posts index

Sivan Geyr
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:31:59 pm

i didn't know aif did could not carry timecode AT ALL, this is good to know in the future. Now i am a bit less mad at the audio guy.

Return to posts index

fabio canale
on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:00:05 pm

Hi,
Actually I am having some trouble working with WAV files. I sync it and after a couple of seconds it stars to unsync, a 1 minute clip will start in sync and end up totally out of sync.
If I convert the wav into aiff it works perfectly.
Sad to know that aiff won't cary timecode, that will make me re-sync 12 days of shooting...

Return to posts index

fabio canale
on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:44:29 pm

Wave Agent worked like a charm!!!!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:35:21 am

Wave and AIFF contain the same raw audio data. There is absolute no reason not to use Wave.
Indeed Wave can hold metadata, but it is NOT timecode!

The metadata is written in samples that can be calculated to timecode.
So if you have recorded at 48000 Khz,
the metadata says 48000 that corresponds with TC 00:00:01:00

Now it's up to the receiving software how to interpret the samples.

In NTSC a second is NOT 30 frames, but 29.97 in NDF.
DF tries to compensate for that in TC, but of course the frame duration / speed is the same.

Now, FCP is notorious bad in interpreting the numbers.
You need to set FCP how to interpret the BWF's, and then RESTART it.
It may happen that FCP 'remembers' the wrongly imported BWF's, so you need to rename them before they get in with the right TC.
(Same goes for Premiere)

It gets even worse in FCP.
Indeed you can get a drift. In theory, the wrong TC indication should have nothing to do with the playback speed / duration of the imported Wave file.
However, in the old days you could flag a sound file a bit different, as people would shoot 23.976 to finalize at 24 for film.
Now FCP tries to be smart for you and use this info.
This can drive a man crazy...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]