FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD workflow fcp (copy then log and transfer later)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
AVCHD workflow fcp (copy then log and transfer later)
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:12:40 pm

Hi, been googleing and looking here and cant find answer so...

In there a way of copying SD cards with AVCHD onto my computer and then doing Log & Transfer later. Basically we will be shooting a lot of footage so the best way to do this seems to be rotate the cards and copy them onto a laptop, log and transfer is to slow.

I know we could get loads of 32GB SD cards or a get mortgage to get a top end Mac but we are a community media outfit and are basically permanently skint;(.

I am afraid stealing, bribery and extortion are against our ethics;).

Any ideas?

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.funkytwig.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVCHD workflow fcp (copy then log and transfer later)
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:01:01 pm

[Ben Edwards] "In there a way of copying SD cards with AVCHD onto my computer and then doing Log & Transfer later. "

Yes. Put the card into the computer, make a new folder, give it a unique name, copy all the contents of that card to that folder. Or get Shotput Pro, that will automate that process and do a file verification.

[Ben Edwards] "Basically we will be shooting a lot of footage so the best way to do this seems to be rotate the cards and copy them onto a laptop, log "

That is the typical tapeless workflow. Shoot to card, offload full cards to a drive, return to production. That is what you SHOULD be doing. Log and Transfer is always done later...and you ALWAYS backup the cards...and retain those backups. Those are your master tapes. If you had watched my tutorial, you would have seen me INSIST that you do that. :)

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:29:55 pm

Thanks a lot for that, very useful. I suppose wham I do log & capture I just point it at each directory in turn and crunch the files.

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.funkytwig.com

Return to posts index

Michael Griggs
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:29:34 pm

yes.

But you're not limited to ingesting one "card" (folder) at a time. You can bring them all in at once. FCP sees it just like if the files were still on the cards -provided you followed Shane's tutorial advice and kept all directory structures intact when you copied the card to your "master" folder.

For example:
I shoot a wedding almost every weekend. With 2 cameras over the course of 8-10hrs we fill up two 32GB cards, and sometimes more. When I transfer the cards to my drive, I create a master folder (that I just label "AVCHD") and each card goes into it's own folder within my AVCHD folder. So, two cards, two folders (I just number them sequentially-1, 2, etc.)

The numbered folder containing the contents of each card transfers into FCP as it's reel name. So feel free to name the folder whatever makes sense for that project. Just don't RENAME anything (folders, clips, etc) destructively in the finder, otherwise you shoot yourself in the foot should you need to reimport later down the road......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]