FORUMS: list search recent posts

Naming convention: round tripping to Color, ProTools, etc.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Ward
Naming convention: round tripping to Color, ProTools, etc.
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:28:37 pm

After a few projects with this scenario, I can't seem to come up with a good naming convention. I've got a sequence with video clips, subtitles, graphics, large jpegs, slugs, music, sound bytes, etc. I name my sequence "ABC Promo". However, I want to send the audio to ProTools for a final mix. I want to send the video clips to color. And I want to keep all the graphics and slugs and whatnot outside of Color because Color doesn't play nice.

So I duplicate my sequence and call it "ABC Promo Pic Lock". I send the OMF off to ProTools. I delete all the graphics and things that Color doesn't like, and then send what's left off to Color. When I send the render back, I have another sequence called "ABC Promo Pic Lock (from Color)."

To this new sequence, I add back all the pictures, slugs, etc. and I add my audio final mix that came to me as an AIFF file. This sequence is really my Master Sequence, from which I'll export the final master, but it has the ugly name of "ABC Promo Pic Lock (from Color)."

So, if you round trip to/from Color and you have multiple elements, do you have a good naming convention you could share? Oh, also, can I rename the sequence "ABC Promo Pic Lock (from Color)" without any negative consequences like losing linked footage, reconforming, etc?

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
Re: Naming convention: round tripping to Color, ProTools, etc.
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:39:09 am

No worries. Just re name it to what ever you want once it is back into FCP. I will typically make a folder called "working sequences" 'in which I place all of the pre color duplicates then rename the sequence "from color" to something like "my project_final graded master".

If you need to "tweak" a grade, no need to "re send" to color... Just open the color project, tweak your grade on whatever shots you want to tweak, re render and your done. FCP will connect to your new grades automatically.

The connection in FCP to the renders is quite unbreakable really.... You can even copy these graded clips in to a new FCP seq and the XML will keep the connection without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
Re: Naming convention: round tripping to Color, ProTools, etc.
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:47:04 pm

Yes, this helps. I tried it. I sent to color. I copied the graded clips to a new sequence where I assembled the photos, slugs and final audio mix. I then went to color to regrade one clip. I rendered in Color, then, when I went back into FCP, the clip magically updated with the new grade. AWESOME. At least there was one good thing about Color.

Thanks for your tip.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]