FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor settings advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Weinstein
Compressor settings advice
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:52:42 am

Hi, usually when I have a project that is 2hrs or slightly over when I export to compressor I do it in two parts and burn 2 DVDS or BD's. I am wondering if I should be able to fit the whole thing on one disc in good quality? Is there a big difference between the mpeg2 setting best quality 90minutes vs best quality 120?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Compressor settings advice
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:10:44 am

DVDs were designed to fit up to 3 hours of mpeg2 in dual layer. The difference between 90 best and 120 best will not be such a big deal and prefereable to having to load two disks, but if you go dual layer, then 90 best will fit three hours anyway.

So a better bet is to use dual layer and maintain the same quality as you are doing with two single layer disks

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:28:00 am

You should be able to fit 2 hours on a disc and have it look ok.
Adjust the data rate in COmpressor a little bit, Dial it in till you make it just 4.2GB in file size when done.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:40:17 pm

so if I want the quality to the be the best possible without using dual layer that basically means I need to split it?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:50:39 pm

It's always a trade off - high quality - larger files.
OK Quality - Smaller files, to a degree.

If you want 2 Hours Highest Quality Compression and No dual layer, then yes, put it on 2 disc.

I would dial in the data rate until it just fits on 1 disc and then look @ it in your living room and see if it's good enough for you.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:35:47 pm

ok thanks. if the project was for myself I would watch it on television and check the different compressions etc...... but since its for work I have no choice but to make it the highest quality so I've exported in part 1 and part 2 (23hrs to go)! Confusing stuff though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]