FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP -> ProTools -> FCP -> Audio Wont Stay Synched!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Mack
FCP -> ProTools -> FCP -> Audio Wont Stay Synched!
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:47:16 am

Hi Everyone!

I have read all over creative cow and other threads and tried trouble shooting to no avail. I'm hoping someone has some fresh prospective.

I sent an Aif audio export from my FCP project to be sweetened in ProTools. (he was telling me his protools wouldn't accept my OMFI file so we just went ghetto and I sent him an AIF export)

He added sound effects etc, and exported out an AIF. (48khz, 16bit) When I bring it into my FCP sequence and lay it down, it looses synch over time. Getting worse as the video plays on.

Tech Specs:
Software: FCP 7.0.3
Footage in sequence: ProRes 422 1920x1080 16bit integer (big endian) 48khz
Frame Rate: 24fps
Sqeuence (auto set by footage) 1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9), 24fps, 16 bit, 48khz

Any thoughts on what is causing this?? Already tried the "easy set up" putting my FCP to 23.98 fps it didnt work :(

::slams head against wall::

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP -> ProTools -> FCP -> Audio Wont Stay Synched!
on Jun 21, 2011 at 5:45:21 am

If the Protools session had correct timecode settings then it is a problem with the audio import back into FCP. Best to search this forum as it is an FCP specific problem that has been constantly covered.

Read this tutorial, particularly the second half where it describes the correct procedure to import audio assets into FCP to avoid stamping the file with the incorrect timecode frame rate.

http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1

Next, find a sound post person that can take OMFs from FCP. They have been bullet proof since vers3 and I have never heard of anyone running an up to date ProTools or Fairlight that can't import FCP OMFs without issue.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP -> ProTools -> FCP -> Audio Wont Stay Synched!
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:13:36 pm

[Ryan Mack] "Tech Specs:
Software: FCP 7.0.3
Footage in sequence: ProRes 422 1920x1080 16bit integer (big endian) 48khz
Frame Rate: 24fps
Sqeuence (auto set by footage) 1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9), 24fps, 16 bit, 48khz"

Um, are you triple-dog sure about that frame rate? Could it actually be 23.976, aka 23.98?

And if your Pro Tools guy needs a frame rate and relies on the frame rate you gave him, wouldn't it influence the duration of the files he makes based the slightly-faster frame rate you reported?

And wouldn't it be good to know precisely what your Pro Tools guy really needs from you?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]