FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC user switching to Mac and FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Barnard
PC user switching to Mac and FCP
on Jun 20, 2011 at 10:14:35 pm

Hi all,

I've been using Adobe and Edius on PC's for some time now and have never used FCP.

I've been asked to shoot a large project and I need to switch to FCP for my clients.

I also need to upgrade my cameras. Essentially I am required to edit in FCP and the footage I will shoot will have to be full 1920 (no HDV!) and be no less than 35Mbps.

Currently I am shooting 1440 at 25Mbps (Sony Z5). I am thinking I will keep my Sony Z5's, and add the nano flash to the three cameras I have, so I will shoot in 1920 and at about 100Mbps.

My question is: Can I use a Macbook Pro for this task? - I will be travelling at lot whilst editing and I don't want to be tied to a desktop.

I'm NOT going to be doing much graphic work or working with effects on the video streams. I will need to edit 3 streams in a multicam setting. I understand that FCP can automatically set a proxy file at the highest level for the macbook's specs.

I was thinking that I would purchase the highest spec'd macbook pro and this might get the job done. Am I right?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: PC user switching to Mac and FCP
on Jun 21, 2011 at 1:51:56 am

I should think it would work fine, as long as your scratch disk setup is fast enough. Right now, you'd want the 17" machine so you could add a fast eSATA array to it.

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog:

Current DVD:

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved