FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export disaster - avi - .mov to export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Samuel
Export disaster - avi - .mov to export
on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:21:02 pm

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm exporting a 8 minute sequence which is pretty simple (one video track, two audio plus subtitles) and am getting a host of issues in the exported clips - stutters, large pixelations etc. I am now thinking the problem may be with the original files and how I converted them but I'll put the details out there so I don't have to keep on guessing because my troubleshooting thus far has not been successful.

So - the original files were shot on a vado/flip cam type cameras as well as the canon 5dMII. The files were
1280 x 720, H264, 30 fps, 44KHz AVI files
1280 x 720 AAC, 30 fps, 44 khz MPEG files
960 x 540, H264, 30 fps, 44 KHz MOV files (from Canon 5DMII so much higher quality)

In order to edit them, most were converted to
1280 x 720, H264, 30fps/29.97 fps, 48 KHz MOV files

The Canon 5DMII files were converted to
960 x 540 Pro Res 422, 48 KHz MOV files

A files were converted to
720 x 576, Pro Res 422, 48 Khz MOV files

A few people have been working on this so I'm not sure why some of these decisions were made. But my problem is that while it playing through ok, when it exports there are major issues.

Can anyone tell me what I can do at this point? Should I go back to the original files and reconvert them? If so, to what? What are the best settings to work in for a project like this?

Thanks so much for your help.

Jen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export disaster - avi - .mov to export
on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:39:42 pm

[Jennifer Samuel] "In order to edit them, most were converted to
1280 x 720, H264, 30fps/29.97 fps, 48 KHz MOV files"

Oops. H.264 isn't a valid editing codec in FCP. If you can transcode the originals to ProRes 422 instead, life will get better.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jennifer Samuel
on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:14:42 pm

I had a feeling that was the case. I kinda always fumble my way around this compression stuff because I'm not very clear on the pros/cons and uses of the different kinds. Is ProRes generally a good format in which to edit these these compressed H264 files? And then recompress them when outputting? Or is there another that you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:57:44 pm

[Jennifer Samuel] "Is ProRes generally a good format in which to edit these these compressed H264 files?"

If by that question you actually mean, "Is it a good idea to convert H.264 files to ProRes and use ProRes as a codec in my FCP sequence?" the answer is yes. Absolutely. ProRes 422 is FCP's go-to editing codec.

MPEG Streamclip (free download: google it) is a fine application to use for the conversion.

FCP also has a preference in audio files: aiff, 48 kHz, 16 or 24 bits. This would include the audio tracks of any video files as well.... such as those converted from H.264.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jennifer Samuel
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:21:40 pm

Yeah - I've used MPEG streamclip before and it's great. One problem. When I converted the AVI files to .MOVs using MPEG streamclip they had no audio. I used these settings:
1280 x 720, Pro Res 422, 30fps/29.97 fps, 48 KHz MOV.
Any idea why that would happen?
Thanks.
Jen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 21, 2011 at 3:29:32 pm

[Jennifer Samuel] "Any idea why that would happen? "

I rarely need to use MPEG Streamclip, but I recall there are a few check boxes to check to incorporate an audio track. I'd think that if you're not careful in the initial conversions, working up a procedure that becomes almost habit, it easily could happen.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jennifer Samuel
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:06:46 pm

well i used the same settings for the mpeg files and they all had audio so i'm thinking it must be something related the avi files as the source. the audio is selected and whether i convert it to 48 KHz or keep it at 44 KHz the exported .MOV is silent. Anyone know the best way to get around this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:18:01 pm

H.264 and mpeg files work differently. Many mpeg files have the audio embedded right in the video track; they're referred to as being multiplexed, or muxed. H.264, on the other hand, uses separate audio tracks.

I'd go over that procedure of yours with a fine-toothed comb. I'm confident you'll find a little oopsie in it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]