FORUMS: list search recent posts

computer monitor/ video monitor for MacPro for video editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Chavinsky
computer monitor/ video monitor for MacPro for video editing
on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:05:57 am

I just got a "macpro1,1" used at my work and I was given a dell p2311hb monitor to use (23 inches I believe).

Up until now I've been using a 17inch macbook pro and after 20 minutes using the dell monitor I could feel strain on my eyes and after a couple hours I couldn't take it any more. I adjusted all the monitor preferences, which made it better but when I looked at my smaller macbook pro beside it my eyes felt instantly relieved.

What kind of monitor will reduce eye strain? I spend about 10 hours a day on my computer, mostly editing. The company is non-profit though, so they probably can't afford an apple cinema display. Maybe I'll just have to keep using my macbook pro?

any advice or info is appreciated. Also, should I get a computer monitor or video monitor for editing and what's the difference?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: computer monitor/ video monitor for MacPro for video editing
on Jun 20, 2011 at 12:58:52 pm

I can't comment on why the Dell hurts your eyes, but could it just be too bright? I prefer non shiny screens for long sessions... Matte screens sure seem to be easier on the eye.

The big difference between computer displays and video monitors is the gamma response on them. If you intend to deliver for TV sets or video displays, then you should view your material and color correct it using an external video monitor. If for the web, it's not as critical. But color doesn't really look the same between the two types of displays.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Dave Chavinsky
on Jul 2, 2011 at 4:48:34 am

Thanks Jerry,

I pretty much tried every different combination of settings I could think of. I eventually set the brightness to zero, which was much easier on the eyes but looking over at my macbook pro, my eyes still felt that relief.

I think you're right about the shiny screen. The mbp is matte and this screen seems shiny. I also have bad lighting in my office that probably magnifies off the shiny screen. the mbp doesn't reflect the harsh lights.

So I've been trying to find a "video monitor" but am having trouble. Are they all extremely expensive or is there more of a consumer model? My work is for non-profit organizations so I can't afford something that is several thousand dollars. suggestions?

thanks

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:55:40 am

You'll need a way to feed the video monitor or TV set. With a Mac Pro, you'll need either an external box or an inexpensive video card. AJA, Decklink, or Matrox all make external monitoring solutions. Least expensive is the Intensity card from Blackmagic Design.

You'd connect it to your Mac, (0r install the card version) and then connect it's output to the input of your video monitor. Pro Monitors are indeed expensive, but with say a MXO product from Matrox, you can send color bars (blue only even) to a consumer TV set and calibrate the set with the control panel that the Matrox comes with. MXO mini would do the trick. I like the Samsung TV sets that are around 23" and display 1080 pixel for pixel. They are about $300...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]