FORUMS: list search recent posts

hd and hdv in the same timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giuseppe Valentino
hd and hdv in the same timeline
on Jun 19, 2011 at 11:19:09 am

Hallo to everybody.
I just joined the community, so cheers to you’ll.
I work with final Cut Pro since some years now and I’m currently editing a documentary I shot in Italy in the last year using two different cameras in two different moment of the year. One was a HDV Sony camera and for the rest of the shoot I used a Canon 60D. Now my question is if it’s ok to cut the clips in the same timeline or should I make some adjustments first. i’m thinking to go on and then render when i’m finished, plus, I really would like to make the HDV footage more cinelike because is native interlaced, some help on that too would be apreciated. The HDV looks pretty awful and strangely compressed althought is straight from the camera.
Let me know, thanks a lot in advance,
Giuseppe

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: hd and hdv in the same timeline
on Jun 19, 2011 at 3:39:09 pm

You can do this with FCP X. You'll have to wait till it's released.

Do a search for h.264, Canon 5D/7D, etc. and you will find your answer.
Short answer is no. Convert your HDV and 60D footage to ProRes and your editing experience will be smooth. Stick with your current workflow if you want to have a frustrating and time consuming experience.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Andrew Karczewski
on Jun 19, 2011 at 5:41:09 pm

I agree with steve. Also, don't be tempted to convert your footage to "ProRes HQ" - given your source/original footage format, you will not gain anything in quality.

Converting all your footage to ProRes (1920 x 1080) will give you a nice full raster, 10 bit, I-Frame only codec to work with...Far easier and cleaner to work with.

Andrew Karczewski.

Return to posts index

Giuseppe Valentino
on Jun 19, 2011 at 7:20:31 pm

Thank you very much, first of all.
Ok, the thing is that I'm already cutting. I'm working on a Pro res timeline with the 60d footage already converted in prores. I can edit smoothly already because I don't need to render. The HDV footage is visible, needs just a preview render (green line on the timeline). The amount of the HDV footage is incredible, more then 70 hours, I really cannot convert all the material takes too long. I can keep going and cut the doc in this way, but now my question is: how should I export it? Should I convert once finished the materila used in Prores and then export?
I would like to have all the project in progressive mode. The 60d is already in 25p (PAL version) the HDV is interlaced, same, PAL version of the camera. What/how should I do the export?
Thanks in advance to take the time to answer me.
giuseppe

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:58:55 am

I'm in a similar situation. I have HDV 1440x1080 from a Canon XLH1 and H.264 1920x1080 from a Canon 3ti. Those shot at 24p.

I also have yards of H.264 720p 30 fps from a very small Canon which has been used to film from awkward places.

Since the documentary may well be shooting for a year, I have to watch the storage issue and have elected to transcode everything to (gulp) HDV 24p for editing purposes.

I will conform back into ProRes when the material has been whittled down somewhat.

So it's kind of like an offline in HDV and an online replacement job later.

It's working, by the way.

When glorious FCPX comes along with its "shove anything you like into my Timeline and I'll transcode it on the fly", we'll see if it really can do it as advertised without hiccuping or crashing.

Best

Harry

Return to posts index

Andrew Karczewski
on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:54:37 am

I have a feeling that while FCP X will allow people to use various codecs and resolutions in the same sequence, very quickly you will see the gurus - Walter Biscardi, Shane Ross etc still recommending that in mixed format situations - particularly those involving H.264 and HDV as source material - that users still transcode to ProRes...

...Unless apple decided to start handing out 6.0Ghz, 18 core mac pros with built in 10 Terabyte SSD RAIDs, and 64 GB of RAM as standard configurations...ahhhhh, sounds like a Christopher Nolan film!

Return to posts index

Giuseppe Valentino
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:16:20 am

Hi Harry, thanks for the reply. Well I'm working on a timeline now and I thought to export when finished as Apple Pro Res. Anyway working on a prores timeline, when exporting the clip it does some bad work on the image, I cannot send you a picture but to explain you: around the image I see stripes, like those of interlaced material. Wha can I do? Should apply a filter?
Thanks in advance

Giuseppe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]