FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD screen artifacts from SD output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Graves
HD screen artifacts from SD output
on Jun 18, 2011 at 6:20:39 pm

I have done some moves in Aftereffects on still photos -- slow pantograph style zoom ins. I imported lossless AVI's at 864x486 for Anamorphic DVD as my final destination, into FCP.

On the HD screen, for playback out of FCP, I am getting blurry double horizontal lines on the slow zoom ins, and more noise and moireing than I'd like to see on all my graphics. On the smaller computer screen, the image looks much cleaner, without the artifacts.

For example, there is a guy wearing glasses in a MCU still shot (zooming slowly), and his single rim glasses have pronounced double rims (a motion artifact?)on the HD screen. I wish I could get rid of the doubling, and it seems to happen most severely on this one shot. Some of the other stills have the guy with his black rimmed glasses, and I don't see the doubling. IT's as if those glasses rims at that particular size are at the exact resonant frequency of the lines of the HD monitor.

I am coming out of an Igniter RT card using the S video connector into my mitsubishi 46" HD screen.

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question, but is there anyway to reduce moireing, doubling, and blurriness on large screens from FCP? (I know the easy answer is -- get an HD system.)

thx

~ John

"Life is good, as long as it doesn't take up too much of my time."

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: HD screen artifacts from SD output
on Jun 19, 2011 at 8:51:53 pm

Could the fields be inverted?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

John Graves
on Jun 20, 2011 at 4:06:41 am

Yeah, that had occurred to me, Jeff. I have looked about for where a field reversal may occur, but I can't find anything out of place or out of the ordinary. I see no setting in my Mitsubishi HD TV for field reversal. The Mitsu must be functioning in interlace mode when there's S video coming into it, I would imagine.

Ah, i see here that Aftereffects render settings is set to "field render off". I think I will choose the "upper field first" option instead, try that see how it looks.

~ John

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:11:47 pm

All HD is either upper field or progressive. See what your FCP sequence settings are and match that.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:21:36 pm

If you're working in HD in FCP, why did you choose to do your After Effects work in an SD resolution? Did you think FCP could somehow magically fix the difference in resolution?

Start over from scratch. Match the resolution in AE to your resolution in FCP. If you happen to have AE on your FCP machine, you can also render using ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Graves
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:34:23 pm

HI Dave ~

Oh no, you may be misunderstanding me, my FCP is SD. I do not have HD capability.

thx

~ John

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:37:45 pm

You're correct: I DID misunderstand. Sorry.

In which case, follow Jeff's field order advice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]