FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP crash - 2 cards ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smith
FCP crash - 2 cards ?
on Jun 18, 2011 at 2:44:42 am

whenever i apply "Bad TV" or "Bad Film" effects FCP crashes. I got a maxed out Mac Pro. Is it because FCP does not support 2 video cards? Any tips on disabling one? I got blackmagic and whatever the mac pro came with. I've got a very stable system with two monitors otherwise, would like to fix this in the safest way possible.

A step by step solution would be amazing, thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP crash - 2 cards ?
on Jun 18, 2011 at 2:55:36 am

FCP supports a graphics card and an I/O card like Blackmagic/ Matrox/ AJA. Recommended graphics card is ATI. Make sure drivers are up to date with OS and FCP version.

Two graphics cards are ill advised and NVIDIA cards are used by many but not the recommended type and there have been some issues for some.

So what do you actually have and when FCP crashes what does the crash report say. There isn't enough basic info to start to guess what your issue is. I take it you have already tried the usual maintenance - trashing preferences and repairing permissions. If not then details on how to do this are available via a search of this forum.

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jun 18, 2011 at 3:08:47 am

i got an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT and this thing: ( i assume it's my blackmagic card's info:

pcibdbd,a114:

Type: Video
Driver Installed: Yes
Bus: PCI
Slot: Slot-2
Vendor ID: 0xbdbd
Device ID: 0xa114
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0xbdbd
Subsystem ID: 0xa114
Revision ID: 0x0000
Link Width: x1
Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

When it crashes these pretty green and red and other colored squares and shapes take over both monitors in random order and I have to restart the Mac Pro. No error message pops up. This only happens when i apply those two effects.

Also, just noticed that both monitors are plugged into the same PCI card, I'm guessing it's the blackmagic card I remember buying a few years ago. The back of it reads "1" and "2".

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
SCREEN SHOTS of the issue
on Jun 18, 2011 at 3:48:24 am

as you can see it quickly spreads over the entire monitor.

Also after it finished rendering the clip the redline stayed and it froze. It let me quit FCP but without restarting that "effect" would show up every time I tried to open a new window.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: SCREEN SHOTS of the issue
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:04:46 am

Blackmagic cards do not feed signals to computer monitors - computer graphics cards do that job in your computer. Try reseating the Radeon 2600 card (i.e. take it and put it back) and undo and reconnect the cables to the card and monitors as well. If that doesn't work, you may have a bad card.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:06:54 am

The computer monitors would be plugged into the ATI card. If you have a Decklink it would have SDI, component connectors and or HDMI . So when you say both monitors, do you mean computer screens or external TV type monitor?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:09:38 am

OK I see you have posted a screen shot. It's the graphics card doing the pixel boxes. My guess is that they are fx plugins that use the graphics card to do the processing. There may be other fx plugins that also crash your system. You may have to replace or upgrade your graphics card to something with more grunt and RAM

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:38:50 am

I meant two external monitors:

they are plugged in into the back of the card:

I've worked with a bunch of the effects in FCP and AE and only these two effects seem to cause this. Would love to get another opinion before I start unplugging and jerking things.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:43:22 am

[Johnny Smith] "only these two effects seem to cause this. Would love to get another opinion before I start unplugging and jerking things."

Okay, the other opinion is, use different effects and don't do the unplug and jerk thing. Clearly those effects are NG.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:52:01 am

Possibly those plugins are somehow corrupted. You have tried trashing prefs etc?

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:53:01 am

Ha ha, it might be a CS5 bug but really really doubt it.

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jun 19, 2011 at 9:07:31 am

sorry, trashing preferences? a little more info please?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 19, 2011 at 9:46:09 pm

Search this forum. This is one of the most basic bits of FCP maintenance and extensive 'how to' posts have often been made on this. You will find that there is free software to help from Digital Rebellion

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:51:28 am

trashing prefs did not help. I noticed that it crashes after It finishes rendering the clip ( redline stays red after render ). Those two effects are very complex, maybe i'm overloading my mac pro somehow? But i got 16 gb of memory! Anyone experienced the same issue in FCP 7.0?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]