FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to recover media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Hankewycz
How to recover media
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:00:24 pm

Today I opened up a project that hasn't been worked on for about a month only to find that the media is now unusable.

The Background:
After the shoot, P2 media was transcoded to DVCProHD and delivered to my post-house for editorial. We loaded the media and worked with it and then the project went on hiatus while approvals were underway. During that down time, my facility switched over to a shared storage system using NTFS Multi User Volumes, and the media for this project was copied over to one of these new volumes.
Today I opened that project up for the first time since the switch and I noticed that FCP didn't recognize the files. The DVCProHD media files didn't have extensions, and had document icons instead of QT icons. The files do have significant file sizes though, leading me to believe that the information is still there. I tried adding an mov extension to one of these files but QT player still won't play it.

I believe that something happened during the copy over to the new volume that made these files "forget" they are mov's. If anyone has any input I'd be glad to hear it!

roman hankewycz
harbor film company // colorist

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to recover media
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:50:36 pm

Still have the footage on the original drives? Those NTFS Multi User Volumes might be right for video editing.

Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved