FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback problems w h264 from 7d transcoded into Pro Res

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Cahill
Playback problems w h264 from 7d transcoded into Pro Res
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:03:06 pm

Hello Very Smart People,

I'm editing footage from a Canon 7d that was imported as h264 and then transcoded to Apple Pro Res HQ using fcp 7. I'm in fcp 7 on a Mac 2x2.66 Ghz dual core Intel Xeon w 5 GB ram running OS 10.5.8. Using a firewire 800 external drive for storage of the files I'm editing.

The clips start out playing fine and then start stuttering and dropping frames after ten seconds or so. I have successfully edited a lot of Dvcpro HD on this machine with no problems, although occasionally after doing effects preparation in fcp and creating shots with multiple layers, I'd have to keep the canvass window pretty small in order to play w/o dropping frames.

I think I need to buy more RAM. Does that sound right to any of you? Or does anything I've said above point to a different problem...

Many thanks!

Joseph

ps- I know there are lots of questions about the 7D - h264 - Pro Res conversion already on this forum, but I didn't find anyone who had problems after they went to ProRes. Thanks again for any help!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Playback problems w h264 from 7d transcoded into Pro Res
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:15:11 pm

Before doing anything else, try transcoding a file to ProRes 422 and see if you have the same playback issue. HQ is for the most part overkill anyway.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Joseph Cahill
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:19:02 pm

Thanks! I'll try right away...

Return to posts index

Joseph Cahill
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:35:57 pm

It worked! Seems to play with no problem. Damn those deceptively attractive HQ letters.
Thank you very much David, you made my day.

J

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:35:08 pm

[Joseph Cahill] "Canon 7d that was imported as h264 and then transcoded to Apple Pro Res HQ"

Well, first off, HQ is overkill. You are making huge files with zero gain over ProRes 422. HQ is meant for 10-bit formats, like RED or AVCINTRA. H.264 from DSLRs is 8-bit, and really, ProRes LT or ProRes 422 will be all you need. HQ will not get you any quality gain, but take up 50% more storage space, and require you to use faster drives. It barely works with firewire 800. And if the drive is more than 20% full, it will slow down. If you can, convert to ProRes 422.

How full are the drives? The fuller they are, the slower they get.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:40:51 pm

You need a little more caffeine today Shane.

As the Dos Equis guy says, "Be thirsty my friend..."

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:21:38 pm

Man, I'm off today. I think I need some Dos Equis coffee...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:52:46 pm

Stupid question, but how did you transcode the files?

Return to posts index

Joseph Cahill
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:20:49 pm

I did a batch export from fcp changing the original h264 files from the camera into Pro Res HQ, though I wish I'd left off the HQ part. You can do it in compressor or lots of other ways, there are many threads about the 5d 7d to pro res transcode on these forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:55:06 pm

[Joseph Cahill] "there are many threads about the 5d 7d to pro res transcode on these forums."

You don't say? I think you might have chosen the path of most resistance, and also a method that is really never suggested.

Why not just download and install the f-r-e-e Log and Transfer plug-in from Canon?

It's way easier and gets done correctly. It also allows logging and can also save you if you entire media system explodes in a fiery ball of hell fire, as long as your original media and project have been backed up.

Return to posts index

Joseph Cahill
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:06:06 pm

Ok, will do. I tried the Canon plug-in in the first place but I think it required higher than OS 10.5.8 which is what I've got. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but when I looked, that's what I found. Anyway, sorry I guess I misunderstood your question. I'll try the plug-in sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:44:53 pm

[Joseph Cahill] "I tried the Canon plug-in in the first place but I think it required higher than OS 10.5.8 "

Yes, it requires 10.6.6.

In that case, you might want to try Grinder:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-grinder/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Deas
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:01:52 pm

I'm not an expert at all and I actually just made a playback/export post myself with some problems I'm having but I'm operating Mac OS 10.5.8 and I downloaded the plugin off the canon site and it works.... or maybe I read your issue wrong haha not sure.

Return to posts index

Joseph Cahill
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:01:54 pm

Hmm, ok will try that. Not an expert either, but my problems really came in after the clips were already ingested. If I could start over with the camera in hand, (which it no longer is) I'd go for the plug-in and get it coming first things first as Pro Res. Strangely enough, somebody else gave me a 15 min Pro Res short film to deal with after I wrote that first post and I've had no problem whatsoever with playback with that file even after adding a layer of subtitles. Anyway thanks.
J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]