FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just a quick simple question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Hotchkiss
Just a quick simple question
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:41:11 pm

Just installed FCP 7 on my new Mac Pro with no fancy video card, like an AJA etc. Up till now, I've always used FCP with such a card and worked mainly in uncompressed 8 bit and had lots realtime editing capability. But now life's simpler and I just need to find a good apple codec that will allow me to edit non-HD material with as little rendering as possible. For my first project, I just want to do a simple 640 X 480 video. Any advice on the best FCP out-of-the-box setups, codecs, etc.? thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Just a quick simple question
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:05:15 pm

[Al Hotchkiss] "For my first project, I just want to do a simple 640 X 480 video. Any advice on the best FCP out-of-the-box setups, codecs, etc.?"

Where is your source coming from? The footage you are editing is...what?

FCP is designed to work with broadcast video formats. 640x480 isn't. 720x480 is...DV/NTSC and DV50 use that frame size. If you want simple SD editing, using a DV sequence is the way to go.

But this all depends on your source footage.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Al Hotchkiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:14:00 pm

Hold the laughter Shane, it's actually coming from a recorded web cam and it is 640/480 on top of being WMV. This is what's got me tripped up. I figure I should just convert the files in compressor to whatever Quicktime I desire to edit with. Hows that sound?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:19:55 pm

[Al Hotchkiss] " figure I should just convert the files in compressor to whatever Quicktime I desire to edit with. Hows that sound?"

Good. Convert to DV/NTSC. But if it records WMV, then you might need to get Flip4Mac to help deal with the conversion.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Al Hotchkiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:34:35 pm

Yes Im running a trial of Flip4Mac now. I'll take your advice and toss the files in compressor and target DV/NTSC. Man I feel so dirty working in such a crappy forgotten format coming from the HD world!

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:07:57 pm

[Al Hotchkiss] "I just want to do a simple 640 X 480 video."

What you should do is edit with Timeline settings that match your footage. That will minimize rendering. THEN export a video to 640X480. Do not set up your sequence as 640X480.

When you're done editing, you can change your Timeline Compressor to a better codec to mastering.

ProRes and DVCProHD are good formats if you're working with HD material.

ProRes and DVCPro 50 are good formats if you're working with SD material.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]