FORUMS: list search recent posts

smoothcam advice smoothing 1080p or 720p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Boulding
smoothcam advice smoothing 1080p or 720p
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:13:23 pm

I've been using smoothcam for a while now and love it's ease of use in Final Cut Pro. I mainly render all my videos through compressor with the apple tv format in 720p. Obviously when i smoothcam 720p (60fps) it loses quality as you crop off the outside bits through the smoothcam algorithm. I would have thought though that if I have a timeline in 720p and i smoothcam a 1080 piece of footage, due to it being much larger in size and width there would be so much more outside info that I would get a perfectly smooth piece of footage once the bits had been cropped off but it doesn't seem to be the case. I get a weird warping of the footage that looks of dodgy quality.

Any advice? Is it worth shooting in 1080 or does it just not work good when shaky and is better to use 60 fps in 720p and deal with the loss of quality once smoothed.

I've been shootin a lot from helicopter and moving car so need to determine which is best for shooting.

Thanks in advance
James

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: smoothcam advice smoothing 1080p or 720p
on Jun 16, 2011 at 5:40:49 pm

I get a weird warping of the footage that looks of dodgy quality.

What was the footage shot on? If it suffers from rolling shutter you often need a better stabilizing solution the Smooth Cam sadly.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Rahul Duggal
Re: smoothcam advice smoothing 1080p or 720p
on Jun 18, 2011 at 3:09:21 pm

The Warp Stabilize feature in the latest After Effects 5.5 seems to be miles ahead of Smoothcam. Install the trial & check it out for yourself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]