FORUMS: list search recent posts

why does FCP hunt for a server?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Lyons
why does FCP hunt for a server?
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:14:39 pm

I brought a FCP project home to work on and when first opening it I experienced the usual pain of relinking all of the elements because they were now on a traveling drive. But even after relinking every element and saving and then closing the project, later when I re-open it, FCP asks several times for me to connect to a server at work even though I no longer need to relink.
It's not actually part of the relink dialog. It takes 5 minutes for a fairly average sized project to load up, but it's interrupted 4 times or more with a note saying I'm not connected to a server. What up? as the kids say nowadays.

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: why does FCP hunt for a server?
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:04:23 pm

Your project was built expecting that server to come into play, and it's expecting that you will continue to work off that server, because that's the way the app was designed.

In the future, you may want to consider using Media Manager to copy the project to your portable drive for transport to a different editing environment (i.e. home). Using MM avoids relinking altogether. However, you'll need to relink when working on it back at the office again, unless you use MM again to copy it back to your office system.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Doug Lyons
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:22:10 pm

What is odd is that I've done this hundreds of times and haven't seen this problem. The only variables I can find is that this project was last opened on a laptop system running OSX 10.5 (I think) - I don't see how that would affect it, but it is a variable. But even copying the project now doesn't help. I'll try doing the MM now at home to see if that will eliminate the problem. I hate that it takes as much as 15 minutes to open the project, and I have a pretty fast system.

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:50:00 pm

From the "worth a shot dept."..

Do you have any unrendered real time effects in your timeline?

Toggle Clip Enable on the clips (control B) to break any links to temp files on the server. I have seen this with speed changes work.

Another question...

Do you have Motion projects in your sequences that use stock Motion content? Where is the default location of the Motion content on the network system? Motion has a collect files export option that should be used if you are going to use more than 1system.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Jun 16, 2011 at 5:38:03 pm

Another from the "can't hurt to try" bin- Create a new project and copy everything into the new empty project, then close the old one, close (and save) the new one and then open the new one. Also, check your System settings so that it isn't looking for a server to put anything on. Capture scratch, render files, autosaves, etc...

good luck

matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]