FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Managing Alexa footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Hankewycz
Media Managing Alexa footage
on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:33:59 am

Came across this problem and I see there's a solution I just want to double check and see if I got it right and if there's a better method.

I'm trying to media manage Prores 4444 footage originating from Alexa. When I use the media manager to copy with handles it gives me error #34, and it results in a file that isn't recognized as an mov (A001C002_110428_R34Q-v) but will play in QT player, however it's not exactly the right portion of the media asked for.

I understand that the workaround is to "save as" the original file and then use that file to media manage, which I've tested and works. It's just that doing this workflow on the entire sequence is going to be a pain.

Please let me know if there's a better way.
Thanks

roman hankewycz
harbor film company // colorist

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
Re: Media Managing Alexa footage
on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:55:02 am

Additionally,
If you take the "bad" file created by doing a media manage on an "Alexa" clip and add an .mov extension to it, then you can import that file into FCP. However, the new file's timecode is wrong, it seems to take the original file's starting timecode as its starting timecode. Meaning even if you media managed the middle of the clip, the resulting file will have the same starting timecode as the file it originally came from.
Weird.

roman hankewycz

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:17:08 am

I'd like to document my workaround workflow so others can review it.

1. Take the sequence to be Media Managed and use Media Manager to "create offline" in a new FCP project.

2. Link this new sequence to the original ProRes 4444 media. Once this is done you can look in the Master Clips bin and sort the Alexa footage from any other footage that may have been in the sequence.

3. Select the Alexa master clips and "batch export" them, making sure that the files go to a new directory.

4. Once the new files are ready, select the Alexa clips in the browser and make it "offline." Now connect those same clips to the new media created.

Now your sequence is linked to new ProRes 4444 files which will work well with Media Manager.

roman hankewycz

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:10:31 am

One issue with Media Manager is that files need to have reel numbers. Does your Alexa Media have correct reel numbers? In the file world, reel numbers are usually folders. Without reel numbering you also can't use an EDL

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:32:07 am

Thanks for the input.
My files do have reel names, but for the record you CAN media manage clips with no reel names. In my case I'm only using Media Manager to create new, trimmed down media files using the "copy" command. Reconnecting clips with no reel names may be an issue but Media Manager will work.

roman hankewycz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]