FORUMS: list search recent posts

Out-of-sync Sound

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier Sandoval
Out-of-sync Sound
on Jun 15, 2011 at 7:08:16 pm

Hello:

I shot a video with a Panasonic AG-DVX100B, with what I thought were the same settings.

Two of my tapes came out, just when imported, out-of-sync. They look OK when played on the camera.

I noticed that in final cut, in aud rate, the ones out-of-sync say 48000.7 Hz and 48000.2Hz respectively as opposed to the ones that are on-sync, which say 48.0KHz.

That is the only visible difference that I noticed, and I was wondering if I just need to change some setting for importing the video, since I set everything for my shoot prior to starting and never changed any setting while shooting.

Thanks in advance and hope someone can help.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Out-of-sync Sound
on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:30:15 pm

Something weird there. Because FCP thinks the audio is not true 48k it is changing the audio speed relative to the video causing sync drift. You could try to extract the audio in Compressor and set it to make aif files at 48khz. Reimport and sync as double system and then link. Lot of mucking around.

Only other alternative that I can think of is finding software that can edit the file's metadata and reset the audio flag to 48khz. Not for the faint hearted but if you totally screw up you can at least recapture

Return to posts index

Javier Sandoval
on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:12:35 am

Can't seem to figure how to do the compressor thing. I'm going to re-capture, hopefully that will do. Thanks anyway..

Return to posts index

Javier Sandoval
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:19:40 pm

I tried to edit metadata with Bridge, VLC and Flash and no-go.

Any other suggestions?

Or how can I extract the file in compressor?

Return to posts index

Justin Cordes
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:39:31 am

I have a different problem. I'm trying to start an edit of a short scripted film that was shot on Canon t2i and double system sound and synced in FCP. The person who initially synced the sound was off by about 2-3 frames. After syncing them, he "merged" them in FCP, then he laid out the all the clips in chronological order on a time line.

I've sinced nudged each take into proper sync on the timeline.

My question now is, is there an easy way to essentially re-"merge" them without having to do the synch all over again the traditional way? By going to the separate audio and video files in a bin doing it all over from scratch?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
-Justin

Return to posts index

Daniel García
on Aug 23, 2011 at 1:44:13 am

I understand this will surely be too late, but there's an easy way to do that correction and "re-merge".
If you already have your clips in the timeline, select the first one and hit CMD+L to unlink audio and video. The clip names will lose their underline on the timeline. Now correct your audio position, maybe even with subframe precision, select your video and audio tracks again, hit CMD+L and the clip names will be underlined (linked) again. Now drag&drop that clip onto the browser, maybe into a new bin, and voila, you have new re-synced clips. Repeat with each subsequent clip.

In fact this is the normal workflow that I'm using because I prefer the precision and workflow over the "merge clips" approach.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]