FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bloated render file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Pestes
Bloated render file
on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:55:17 pm

What is the best way to manage the render file. As I get more and more projects done the render file has gotten huge. Since it is kept on my C drive it is getting to the point of being a problem. Is there a way to only keep the final render? I notice that there is a long list in each render file for each project. I have projects on several different external drives so I am not sure what the best strategy is. Also, can I move the parent render file to another drive or will I have to re-link all the projects again? Thanks for any help.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Bloated render file
on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:12:56 pm

Keep the render files on the same drive as the MEDIA files. They are, after all, media. And when you are done with a project, delete them.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:16:34 pm

[Ron Pestes] "Since it is kept on my C drive it is getting to the point of being a problem."

That's a problem, as it's a media like any other and should be on your media drive in a best case scenario.

Meanwhile, use the Render Manager in the Tools menu to delete those renders that you deem no longer useful.

You can use Media Manager to Copy or Move the entire contents of projects, with their render files, to a new drive. Do keep in mind, the Move feature is destructive, the copy feature is not. However, copy requires that you manually delete your old version of the project once you're convinced of the integrity of the new project, while Move does the process all at once (at least in theory). Also, both Move and copy place all media in a single file in the location of your choice.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:19:26 pm

[Ron Pestes] "What is the best way to manage the render file."

The answer lies in the very words you use to pose the question: the Render Manager. With a little careful choosing, you can delete obsolete render files and retain only the latest ones.

And of course, Shane's right about getting rid of them altogether when the project's in the can.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jun 15, 2011 at 6:15:06 pm

OK. How do I reset my render location? I don't see it under any of the user preferences or system settings.

Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 15, 2011 at 6:23:06 pm

Final Cut Pro menu. SYSTEM SETTINGS. Scratch Disk tab. You set it to the same place as your Media...there are check boxes for media, audio and render files.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jun 15, 2011 at 6:26:26 pm

Got it! Thanks, I knew it was in there somewhere.

Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]