FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
Backing up question
on Jun 15, 2011 at 8:45:39 am

This may be more of a compressor question, but I have a 65gb hard drive camera that had about 50gb or so shot on it.
I imported the 50gb of footage into the computer, and that same 50gb expanded into 285gb after the import.
Obviously, the HD footage was shot in a compressed format on the camera, correct? I want to back this material up, but can I back it up in it's 'smaller' compressed size rather than 285gb?
Not sure how to go about this....

Thanks...

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Backing up question
on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:22:32 am

hi Johny,
You don't mention which kind of camera, format, or whatever you've been using, but I guess you are working with any of the usual tape-less formats around.
If you want to backup that stuff, the best way is to copy the FULL structure of the camcorder hard drive.
You will be able to 'expand" and use again the files when needed and without increasing the size.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:00:23 am

Hi Rafael,

Well unfortunately, it was a rented $800 Consumer Canon HD camera - and has already been returned to the store. It was not a high end model of course, but good enough for my purposes. After importing, the get info on one of the video files says:

1920 × 1080
Apple Intermediate Codec, Linear PCM, Timecode
HD (1-1-1)
I used iMove to import it, since the camera interface was USB and not Firewire. iMovie will do USB of course.

It is possible the footage is still on the drive, because I did not erase it. I knew the guy I rented it from, and I told him to leave the files on the camera until I got it backed up twice...but that was before I realized the files were that much bigger.

I'm not certain how to copy the full structure of the hard drive. Is that done within my Mac OS or in FCP?

Thanks again....

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:16:47 am

You need to watch this. The tapeless workflow for FCP: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

FCP will import from tapeless cameras via USB. The way you did it was, well, less than ideal, to say the least. AIC lacks any timecode, nor does it record reel numbers in iMovie. So if you lose the drive containing the footage, you are SOL. You need to back up the footage first...the entire card. Archive that...that is your master tape. Well, watch the tutorial.

As for the size increasing, sorry, that's how it works. The shooting format isn't well suited for editng at all, so it needs to be converted. The new files will be bigger, so you need to get larger hard drives.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:45:52 am

Well thanks Shane...

I'm on ver. 6.0.6 and I thought that FCP was only Firewire. I tried to import with USB a while back (with a borrowed cam) and FCP couldn't find it. I'm certain it was 'me' missing something of course.

I most certainly will watch the FCP Workflow! Thanks...

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:36:52 pm

Yeah.
I forgot to stick the link to Shane's tutorial.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]