FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing Media in FCP Timeline - Sequence Settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Clark
Mixing Media in FCP Timeline - Sequence Settings
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:06:54 am

Hey Experts,

I poked around on the Cow but couldn't find a definitive answer to this. We're mixing the following in one timeline and wondered what the best sequence settings would be:

- S16mm transferred to DVCam 720x480 29.97 (1.85 and 2.35 within 720x480, ie black bars at top and bottom) (50% of total timeline)
- HVX DVCProHD 960x720 16x9 23.98 (15% of total timeline)
-7D/5D ProRes 1920x1080 23.98 (20% of total timeline)
- Red 2048x1152 23.98 (15% of total timeline)

I'm assuming the best plan of attack is to use the lowest common denominator (720x480 29.97) but considering we're mostly mastering for the web (640x480 progressive), it doesn't really seem right to interlace the HD footage just to de-interlace it when finished and compressing for the web. Also, considering the SD footage was transferred from film to SD, what do you think of doing a reverse telecine to get 24fps? I've seen that option in Compressor, but never fiddled with it.

It seems we should make the SD footage progressive and 24fps (or 23.98fps?) and then compress all the HD footage to 640x360, but I'm not 100% sure of this plan of attack. It seems we can do custom sequence settings of 640x360 square but what codec what be best? We also want the ability to burn a DVD of this (thought admittedly this would be our second priority after the web) so perhaps we want to do two different timelines with different settings for the two different deliveries, ie for DVD interlace and downconvert the HD and for web do the above.

Also, you should note there's no real budget for this. We only have FCP6 and Compressor to work with, so it would be most helpful if you kept your responses within the Final Cut Studio. I'm also assuming we do all conversions in Compressor as opposed to just rendering on the timeline.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Christian H. Clark
City Limit Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved