FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serial Capture with MXO2 Mini Max Crashes FCP 7.0.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Conlee
Serial Capture with MXO2 Mini Max Crashes FCP 7.0.3
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:09:08 am

Hello Everybody,

I'm primarily an Avid guy, so I'm hoping that I'm just screwing up my settings in FCP or something. If I set my system to non-controllable device, I can capture thru the MXO2 mini Max just fine in a variety of codecs and compressions. That's wonderful.

But as soon as I try to batch capture using my IOGear USB to serial converter FCP begins to capture then locks up about 1 to 2 seconds into the capture. Same codecs, same compressions. The deck control seems to work properly, in that it runs the deck to the proper spot and cues it up, etc. But once it starts capturing it craps out.

I'm using OSX 10.6.5 with Matrox 2.2.1.0045 drivers, and FCP 7.0.3.

Any help would be tremendously appreciate.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Serial Capture with MXO2 Mini Max Crashes FCP 7.0.3
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:30:57 am

It's the IO GEAR that is crashing FCP...not the MXO2 Mini. It works fine. It's when you use the IO Gear that you have issues.

What are your DECK CONTROL settings?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:52:14 am

Hey Shane,

Well, as I said, I'm no FCP expert. In fact I barely get by. It seems like there are so many bleeding places to change settings that I have no idea what impacts what.

Is there a centralized place to just do a log and capture setting that will work from the MXO2 mini? I'm just testing, so an NTSC capture from a DSR45 is all I need for a jumping off point.

Honestly, FCP confuses the heck out of me.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:07:08 am

FINAL CUT PRO menu...AUDIO/VIDEO settings. The DSR-45 has firewire, no? Can't capture via firewire instead? As DV? Or, why not use Firewire as deck control?

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:10:32 am

It's more as a test, to make sure I can use serial control in the future if needed. It's not for a job I'm doing right now. Are you positive that the IOGear device is the culprit? It's worked well for my Avid, but if it'll fix the issue I'll drop for a Keyspan. I just want to know that it'll work, is all.

Chris

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:17:00 am

[Chris Conlee] "Are you positive that the IOGear device is the culprit?"

Well, if capture works when not using it, and then doesn't when you do...that's a clear indicator. As I said, try firewire deck control.

[Chris Conlee] " It's worked well for my Avid, but if it'll fix the issue I'll drop for a Keyspan"

Hmmm...Avid on this same system? Got all the drivers?

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:27:43 am

Yeah, MC 5.5.2 on the same system. Maybe I can borrow a Keyspan before dropping the dough. Although looking on eBay, they don't seem as expensive as they used to be.

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:32:06 am

FCP lets you use firewire control and capture the video via SDI. I used to do that all the time from a canon HDV camera.

So start with the Matrox setting and change machine control to firewire rather than uncontrolled device and test again. You do not need to convert to serial which I suspect, as Shane does, is the problem.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:49:18 am

Yes, that will probably work for this deck. However, occasionally a different deck will come in and I'd like to know that I can use serial control. Even on a firewire deck, serial control is MUCH more responsive.

Just to make sure that I wasn't talking out my butt, I rewired my system for the Avid Adrenaline and captured footage from this deck using the same USB to serial converter, and it worked perfectly.

While there may be a conflict between the IOGear box and FCP, I want to borrow a Keyspan before counting on it, because I'm not at all sure that I don't have something else going on with my settings or something.

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:04:56 am

An important issue with serial control is that machines be accurately referenced. Most firewire decks don't support reference video. FCP may be really fussy about the frame timing between the incoming SDI and the frame info being reported by the USB to serial convertor. AVID may not care.

Make sure the Matrox is set to input SDI as reference in case, not external video.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:09:28 am

Hmmm. That's an interesting thought. Just to clarify, however, for purposes of this test, I was just capturing video only from my DSR45's component source. No SDI on the MXO2 mini. I'm not sure where the mini takes it reference. It almost has to be from the source, as I don't believe it has a reference input. I'm not at the office anymore. I'll look into this though.

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:31:02 am

SDI or component makes no difference. If there is a timing mismatch between the Matrox, the video timing and the serial timing then aborted captures will happen in FCP.

The usb serial convertor may be introducing a delay in timing. Timecode location info via serial RS422 must be accurately reported in the middle of the frame. Any delay and the system will think there is a timecode drop which FCP is super sensitive to.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:46:29 am

Will it do a capture now? Not a non controllable device, but without the cueing up. If Michael is right, I would assume it would kick out during a capture now as well. Can you see the TC being reported as it plays?

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:33:51 am

Hey Everybody,

Sorry, I was at Universal Studios Hollywood theme park with my family today, so didn't get a chance to do any tests. Will try again tomorrow morning. What I can say is that the system didn't just drop the capture it froze solid. I have to force close FCP every time I've tried to capture with serial control.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]