FORUMS: list search recent posts

replacing H264 media with ProRes in ProRes sequence - render bars won't go away.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Janzen
replacing H264 media with ProRes in ProRes sequence - render bars won't go away.
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:07:24 am

Hi,

I've encountered a problem where Final Cut's render bars won't go away in a sequence where clips and sequence settings match.

Here's the breakdown:

I exported a 5D sequence from Adobe Premiere as a FCP XML.

I imported the XML in Final Cut and opened the sequence which was automatically at ProRes settings. 23.98, 1920x1080HDTV, Square Pixel Aspect Ratio.

I brought the sequence clips into an H264 sequence so that the clip settings would match the sequence settings and so they did.

But I want to work in Pro Res LT.

So I created a new sequence with Pro Res LT settings, 1920x1080, 23.98, Square Pixel Ratio.

I copied all the clips from the H264 sequence and pasted them in the ProRes LT Sequence.

Then I reconnected the media to Pro Res LT media files which I'd previously transcoded for use in Final cut. The files bear the same name.

The TROUBLE is that the sequence still has the red render bars after I reconnected matching ProRes LT clips for that sequence.

I don't get this.

When I reveal the sequence clips in finder it shows they are indeed connected to the ProRes LT media and then when I simply drop the Pro Res LT transcoded media from the finder window into the sequence it shows no rendering needed. Same clips, yet relinked ones seemingly require rendering.

I don't wish to waste time rendering when I shouldn't have to.

What might be the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Edwin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: replacing H264 media with ProRes in ProRes sequence - render bars won't go away.
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:43:03 am

Make a new sequence. Cut in one of the ProRes LT clips into that sequence. Click YES to the "do you want settings to match?" That way you are sure the settings match.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edwin Janzen
Re: replacing H264 media with ProRes in ProRes sequence - render bars won't go away.
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:20:50 am

Thanks Shane. I tried that now. The Sequence Settings match, and so that is why I'm confused.

Let me repeat,
When I reveal the sequence clips in finder and then drop them back into Pro Res LT sequence it shows no rendering needed.

I think that is strange.

Any other thoughts?

Edwin

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:10:59 am

Have you checked in your motion tab to see if there is an distort values or resizing? Try highlighting all and remove attributes - Motion, distort etc

Return to posts index

Edwin Janzen
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:30:07 am

[Michael Gissing] "Have you checked in your motion tab to see if there is an distort values or resizing? Try highlighting all and remove attributes - Motion, distort etc"

Hi Michael,

The attributes window has all the attributes greyed out. My scale and distortion values are at 100 and 0 respectively and the video looks right and the pixel aspect ratio is square.

Furthermore, when I reveal the unrendered clip in finder and then drag that clip back into the sequence which shows no red render bar, I checked the motion values and they are identical.

Any other clues?

Thanks for your help.
Edwin

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:53:38 am

Something is off. A distort attribute probably. Have you checked that distort is at zero for all the clips? You understand reconnecting the clips doesn't reset any attributes for the clips. So if the original clips were 1440x1080 (like HDV) and you reconnected them to 1920x1080 square clips, the distort settings wouldn't change.

Here's what I've found, sometimes the remove attributes isn't available until you manually change something. So pick one clip. Change the distort to something, then change it back to zero. Highlight the clip and copy. Then highlight all the other clips and paste attributes>distort. Hopefully that does the trick.

Return to posts index

Edwin Janzen
on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:20:21 am

[Bret Williams] " So if the original clips were 1440x1080 (like HDV) and you reconnected them to 1920x1080 square clips, the distort settings wouldn't change."

Thanks for you suggestion. Unfortunately, this did not do the trick. The original clips are identical with the clips with which I am replacing them but for their codec. The original and new media are both 1920x1080, square pixel, 23.98. Only the original is H2.64 and the new media is Apple Pro Res LT.

I even made the clips offline first then reconnected them to the new media. When I drag the media into my timeline from the media bin within final cut it show rendering needed. When I reveal that clip in finder and drag it from the finder window directly into the timeline it shows no rendering needed. When I compare these two clips for their motion effects they both have the same settings.

Totally Bizarre and I wonder if it's not something to do with the way Premiere creates XMLs.

Cheers,
Edwin

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:30:23 am

Did you check speed? There must be a tiny change somewhere for the render to come up

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Oct 27, 2011 at 9:47:09 am

Im having the identical problem. Its a huge PITA. Any solutions?

Return to posts index

Edwin Janzen
on Nov 2, 2011 at 6:09:45 am

Harris,

This is what I think I remember that I ended up doing. I replaced my files in Adobe Premiere first before exporting the XML.

This doesn't explain why FCP is acting out of turn so to speak, but it was my work around.

In more detail, if made the H264 clips offline in Premiere, just by renaming the folder the clips were in. Then reconnected the clips in Premiere to my ProRes clips of the same name.

When I imported that project into Final Cut, using a ProRes timeline, everything was kosher. No render bars.

Hopefully that provides some solace in your dilemma, sir.

Cheers,
Edwin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]