FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render Static

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Charrington
Render Static
on Jun 14, 2011 at 5:58:33 pm

I've attempted to import an HD Quicktime file into FCP to play it out to tape. A client has asked me to output it to a 23.98 HDCam SR tape.

The file they gave me is a 90 minute feature at 24fps Uncompressed Quicktime.

My Mac has a KONA card in it, so I figured I could just drop this into a 23.98 Uncompressed timeline, give it a render and away I went.

I noticed that after the render was finished, half way through the feature, the audio channels just explode into piercingly loud distortion.

I tried tinkering a bit by adding some filters to the audio, then deleting them to "unrender" it and try giving the audio a re-render. Again, the distortion kicks in after too long (20 minutes or so). I also noticed random occurrences of the audio being knocked WAY out of sync in some areas.

I'm curious if anyone can offer some insight beyond "ghosts in the machine" as to why these issues are happening.

Thanks.

-

Dan Charrington
Supervisor, Non-Linear Technologies

MIJO
635 Queen St E. Toronto, ON
416-964-7539

MacPro 8-core Xeon 2.8GHz, 10gb Ram, AJA Kona 3 SD/HD

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Render Static
on Jun 14, 2011 at 6:47:23 pm

[Dan Charrington] "The file they gave me is a 90 minute feature at 24fps Uncompressed Quicktime."

24 or 23.976 (aka 23.98)? That file must be gigantic.

What are the audio specs? aiff, 48kHz, 16 or 24 bit? If not, that could be the problem.

I'm thinkin' a trip through Compressor to convert that giant file to ProRes 422 would do the image quality absolutely NO harm. You wouldn't need to render a 90-minute FCP timeline, perhaps sidestepping that audio issue.

Ever do any work with Steve Roberts of Reid-Roberts Digital Studios at the corner of William Hancox Ave. & Gerrard St. E, near the Danforth station in Upper Beach? A very talented guy, and a fine gent to boot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Charrington
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:04:56 pm

Thanks for the tips Dave.

It is huge. Nears 700 gigs.

A Compressor render makes sense. I guess we figured render in FCP vs render in Compressor... six up, half a dozen down. Guess in this case, that's not the case!

I've managed a work-around for now. Still, good to know for the next wonky job.

Can't say I've met mister Roberts. Toronto is a big place. I've only been here for about five years.

Thanks again!

-

Dan Charrington
Supervisor, Non-Linear Technologies

MIJO
635 Queen St E. Toronto, ON
416-964-7539

MacPro 8-core Xeon 2.8GHz, 10gb Ram, AJA Kona 3 SD/HD

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:16:30 pm

Dan Charrington: "Toronto is a big place."

Americans tend to forget that the populations of the Toronto area and the Chicago area are pretty close in size.

Glad it was helpful.

I'm always a little leery when people mention "HDCam SR" and "24fps" together. But judging by your job title, I expect you have that particular detail covered.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]