FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP XDCAM offline with ProRes 422 (proxy)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Conley
FCP XDCAM offline with ProRes 422 (proxy)
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:45:23 pm

Hello!

I am an Assistant Editor working on high volume documentary work. We are currently working on a large project. We have 250 hours of footage and are not even a quarter of the way done. To top it off, this is only one of about ten projects we have going. We shoot most of our stuff in 1080 23.98 XDCAM, which I transcode to 1080 ProRes 422 and we finish ProRes 422. I am trying to figure out the best way to offline edit using the new ProRes(proxy) and still finish in ProRes 422.

I have converted my test files to Proxy and cut a small sequence. I then used the media manager to make an offline project. In the new project I select the files associated with my offline sequence and batch capture, which launches the Log and Transfer tool. Sony finally maked a plug-in for FCP log and transfer to give XDCAM support, but there are no settings in the preferences window to allow me to switch it to ProRes. This is the version I am using:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-a...

When I select my RAW footage it converts it to the XDCAM codec... Then I have to "reveal in finder" and transcode those files to ProRes 422 and relink my sequence. Everything seems to be working fine except that last part. This can't be the best way to do this. Is there a better plug-in somewhere or does anyone know where the preferences are located for XDCAM in the log and transfer window?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Cheers,

David Conley

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
Re: FCP XDCAM offline with ProRes 422 (proxy)
on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:02:29 pm

FCP 7 will edit XDCAM natively. The Sony transfer utility won't transcode any files into ProRes. It's main role in life seems to be logging and import assist. If you are set on transcoding everything you could use Compressor. I am in the process of editing a 1 hr. doc in FCP using native XDCAM with no problems. One caveat though....I would suggest that you set your render options in prefs to use ProRes for any timeline renders you will need to do.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

David Conley
on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:35:16 pm

Thank you for your response, Lee.

Yeah, FCP will edit native XDCAM, but in my experience it handles ProRes best. We are trying to use Proxy files because we have too much footage for our server. I usually use compressor to transcode everything and I am only using the log an transfer tool to online my ProRes Proxy files after we edit. Most codecs that use the log and transfer window have preferences and allow you to choose ProRes as your default, but XDCAM does not. I guess until Sony updates the XDCAM plug-in I am stuck with the extra step in my Online process...

Thanks, Lee!

Cheers,

David Conley

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Jun 15, 2011 at 6:14:45 pm

I understand your reluctance with XDCAM. I believe some have reported less issues with EX footage as opposed to XDCAMHD. I have recently found that using Disk Warrior stabilized my system to the point where I don't see much difference with stability issues of XDCAMHD vs ProRes.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:27:49 pm

[David Conley] "Yeah, FCP will edit native XDCAM, but in my experience it handles ProRes best."
And can handle Uncompress even better, but converting XDCAM stuff is a waist of time unless you are working with few layers and heavy effects.
FC have no problems with MPEG-2 since long time.

[David Conley] "Most codecs that use the log and transfer window have preferences and allow you to choose ProRes as your default, but XDCAM does not."
That proves what I say: Why an unneeded option?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]