FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Drift when Syncing Zoom H4n with Flip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leslie Kitzinger
Audio Drift when Syncing Zoom H4n with Flip
on Jun 14, 2011 at 2:16:08 pm

I am trying to sync audio from a Zoom H4n recorder with a Flip camera. I've done this with my dslr without issue, but when I do it with the Flip, the audio drifts significantly. I'm guessing this is related to the fact that the Flip shoots at 30 fps.

I initially set my sequence to 29.97 and let FCP adjust the sequence to match the video, but then read some articles that said to make sure that the type of TC for the Capture preset matches your actual TC, so I went with 25 fps, since 30 doesn't seem to exist. This helped the issue considerably, but didn't eliminate it.

I also tried converting the Flip video to 29.97 before bringing it into FCP, which helps even more, but still ends up 2 or 3 frames out of sync by the end of a 12 minute sequence.

Is there something else I'm missing? Is it just something set wrong in my FCP settings? Please help! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Audio Drift when Syncing Zoom H4n with Flip
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:47:33 pm

[Leslie Kitzinger] "I also tried converting the Flip video to 29.97 before bringing it into FCP, which helps even more, but still ends up 2 or 3 frames out of sync by the end of a 12 minute sequence. "

It sounds as if you have a drop frame / non-drop frame time code issue going on. If you observe the difference as you look at time codes, that would be right in the ballpark for DF-NDF.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leslie Kitzinger
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:05:30 pm

Thanks for your response.

Everything's showing up in FCP as drop - the sequence, the Flip video, and the audio.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 14, 2011 at 5:03:15 pm

Did you use Cinema Tools to conform duplicates of the 30 fps video to 29.97?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leslie Kitzinger
on Jun 14, 2011 at 5:04:56 pm

No I just converted it in MPEG Streamclip. Should I try Cinema Tools?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]