FORUMS: list search recent posts

64bit kernel on or off?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Rowe
64bit kernel on or off?
on Jun 13, 2011 at 8:08:10 pm

I just stumbled upon this as a potential problem and am a bit confused. I'm running:
OS X 10.6.7
FCP v 7.0.3
On a new 12 Core Mac Pro.

System Software Overview shows the "64-bit Kernal and Extensions: = Yes

Should this be set to "No" as FCP is a 32 bit application or is this fine the way it is? This new FCP system has been very problematic compared to my old non-intel machine. Lots of crashes and out of memory errors. Pro max built it so I think it was probably done right and I likely screwed it up somehow, but it is not a fun machine.

Thanks for your insight in advance.

Chris

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: 64bit kernel on or off?
on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:41:44 pm

According to this article, 2010 MacPros boot the 64 bit kernel by default. Older Mac Pros don't.

http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-64bit.html

This however, could possibly be the culprit in your case, if you have 32 bit kernel extensions that won't load properly.

You might want to try switching it back to 32 and seeing if it helps.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:43:00 pm

Here is how to switch between the two kernels

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773

Return to posts index

Chris Rowe
on Jun 13, 2011 at 11:37:12 pm

Thanks john,
So what are most editors with these new machines doing? Is it a known thing to run your new machine in 32 bit mode if it is mainly a Final Cut edit system?
I would have thought this would be talked about on the forum more if it is known to cause problems on an FCP machine in 64 bit mode.

Anyone else?

Chris

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:11:22 pm

I have one of the 2010 Mac Pros and the only time I boot into 32 bit mode is so that I can write to a XDCAMHD drive. Sony's driver is 32 bit only and is read-only in 64 bit. Otherwise I stay in 64 bit with no discernible issues.

Lee

SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

• Living my life one frame at a time •

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]