FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export from FCP / PAL DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kai Mariah
Export from FCP / PAL DVD
on Jun 12, 2011 at 12:36:32 pm

Hello.
My film was accepted at a film festival in Mumbai. The festival director asked me to submit a DVD in PAL format (region free).

Is there anything different I need to do in FCP when exporting the film or is the conversion to PAL done in DVD Studio Pro? My current codec is DV/NTSC 48 Khz.

Thanks.
Kai Mariah

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Export from FCP / PAL DVD
on Jun 12, 2011 at 1:02:00 pm

First, Change your Sequence settings to DV50 and re-render.

Then, Export your finished piece using "Current Settings".

Take that file and you will need to convert it to PAL. You can do this at the same time you create the mpeg files for the DVD.

The best route would be finding a place with a Teranex.

The second choice would be a quality plug-in made for foreign conversions.

The next choice would be using Compressor for the conversion but this will not yield best results.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 12, 2011 at 7:39:25 pm

"Take that file and you will need to convert it to PAL. You can do this at the same time you create the mpeg files for the DVD."

You actually should avoid trying to do that in one step, as Compressor has a hard time properly figuring out the GOP structure that way. It takes forever to encode and it's prone to artifacts.

Do the conversion to PAL first, encoding to 8 bit Uncompressed. Then take the Uncompressed PAL QuickTime and encode that to MPEG 2. Though there are more steps, it actually ends up faster and cleaner.

Return to posts index

Joanna Kiernan
on Jun 19, 2011 at 5:40:19 pm

Another question...when you take your PAL quicktime output from FCP to Compressor, how do you--or do you need to--use PAL settings there? I can't find the answer in the help menu, but when I went ahead with the usual settings, DVD studio rejected it.

Thanks,
Joanna

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 19, 2011 at 6:00:34 pm

Like John says, Convert your QT master from NTSC to a PAL QT master first.
Then take that PAL QT and create your PAL mpeg2 files.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]