FORUMS: list search recent posts

Streamclip As A Media Size/Space Manager

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
Streamclip As A Media Size/Space Manager
on Jun 12, 2011 at 5:21:50 am

In conjunction with my MXF files, I also shoot with a Sony which records original .mov files onto cards. The FCP Log & Transfer unwraps MXF to .mov as normal and I save a lot of drive space only bringing in desirable material.

I have recently discovered with Streamclip that I can follow a similar workflow with the .mov source files, and cut them down to new .mov files with only the desirable material. I choose the Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) Compression (original source .mov files are also 422HQ).

HOWEVER, I am now noticing something more is going on with Streamclip, as my new exported files have a slight color change, more red hue, AND the new file is almost four times the size as the original!

So much for media managing with Streamclip.

Can anyone offer a recommended alternative to cutting down my .mov sources while preserving the original file integrity?

Thanks,

Mark Fanjoy

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Streamclip As A Media Size/Space Manager
on Jun 12, 2011 at 5:56:45 am

Might try smaller versions of ProRes instead of HQ. Which version of ProRes to use is dependent on what the material is (fast moving images?) and what you intend to composite with as well as what your delivery format needs to be.

Post more about the content and the delivery you need to do.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jun 12, 2011 at 7:25:35 am

Thanks, Jerry. Below is a snapshot of the native file settings. Can't tell if my image is attaching so just in case: XDCam HD422 1080p30 50Mb/s (1920x1080).

The end use is broadcast, 16x9 letterbox SD, and HD. The content is women talking head testimonials, hair modeling, and other beauty shot B-Roll for a shampoo product. Editing in FCP7.

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 12, 2011 at 11:18:29 am

Hi Mark,
If you are working with XDCAM stuff, why don't you keep your stuff as XDCAM?
That stuff can be edited native without problem.
You are losing a generation and increasing your files size.

You can "clean" your footage directly with QT Player.
You select, copy and paste the clips you want on a "New QT Window", and "Save as.." a "Self-contained QT Movie".
No rendering/transcoding needed. You consolidate your original stuff on a new movie without any lose in quality. The process is very fast (read and write), and your files are ready for FC.

If your MXF files are XDCAM too, you can re-wrap the MXF as QT too (no rendering, just re-wrap).
There is a little free application that do this (at Convergent-Desing web site).

This way you will get rid of any color-shift on transcoding too.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jun 12, 2011 at 11:48:17 am

Rafael, thank you for the input. What you are describing is exactly what I discovered using Streamclip. I understand I can use my native XD Cam .mov files directly with FC. What I want to do is edit them in a similar fashion as Log & Transfer prior to bringing them into FCP. I want to remove the few seconds and minutes around selected takes, creating a new and smaller .mov file.

Maybe this will help. In a recent 3-camera shoot, my DIT let cameras run long before and after action takes. Thus, I ended up with about 800gigs of data, about 300gigs of garbage recorded.

If these were MXF files, I would simply run them through Log & Capture and create .mov files of only the material I want to work with in FC. But other shoot days, .mov XDCam files were created, and have similar garbage. From my knowledge, I cannot trim those unless I take each one into FC, set in/out points, and output as new smaller sized .mov files. Too much data to go through that process.

Streamclip acts as a viewer and quick in/out point editor, and is perfectly configured for this. BUT, it seems to be causing a color shift. So, I'm searching for something else, if it's out there.

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 12, 2011 at 1:55:28 pm

Buy more drive space?

I think any compression software would do the job you want to do though... Compressor can select in and out points within a clip for a conversion, but in any event compression software would recompress the video to another or even the same format. (Sometimes with errors like you're seeing) FCP's QT export will not recompress it if you use the "same settings" as the source clip, and make the clips self contained. You'd then just keep it XDCAM.

I don't quite understand why using FCP is any more difficult than say, MPEG streamclip to select sections of the video to cut it down to size. You could make a series of subclips then use a batch export to create self contained movies from those subclips...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jun 12, 2011 at 7:43:41 pm

Yep, that's what I've been doing is buying more drive space, and getting on my DIT's butt about letting the cameras run long!

You are right, there is not much of a difference between using FC and Streamclip as for workflow. But there are a few nuances that cause some issues and is more time consuming in the long run. One example is, I have to create a unique QT file name when saving in FC, where Streamclip defaults to the current QT file name. May sound silly, but when jamming through thousands of files, that typing adds up vs dragging a clip to the Streamclip window, and saving.

But, at the end of the day, FC is proving to be the more integral way, and that is the priority bottom line.

Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 12, 2011 at 5:26:22 pm

[Mark Fanjoy] " But other shoot days, .mov XDCam files were created, and have similar garbage. From my knowledge, I cannot trim those unless I take each one into FC, set in/out points, and output as new smaller sized .mov files."
If they are already ".mov" they can be trimmed in any QT application.
You can import them directly to FC.
No need for L&T, that's or for the MXF or MP4/XDCAM.
I guess you are getting those "XDCAM.mov" from a Canon or JVC camera or from a NANO-Flash.
Trim and "Save as.." with QT Player or MPGStreamclip, or easier, as Jerry suggests, do it in FC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]