FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bizarrely Simple Q: How do I loop the transport in FC?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Morris
Bizarrely Simple Q: How do I loop the transport in FC?
on Jun 11, 2011 at 6:03:11 pm

Preamble: I'm transitioning from Vegas Pro 9 to FCP (I've defected to Mac). I'm actually using FCE 4 at the moment, but I think basic functionality is the same as FCP.

I used have a simple transport loop button in Vegas and used it frequently to lip sync audio to video. You know, watch the lips move during a couple of seconds loop while moving the sound track back and forward until it matches visually.

I can't find anything like this in FC, except the Mark>Play>In to out thingy. But when I loop with this, as soon as I try to slide the audio track around relative to the video, it stops looping!

Can anyone help? I'm open to a different work flow, whatever it takes!

Thanks,
Terence

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
Re: Bizarrely Simple Q: How do I loop the transport in FC?
on Jun 12, 2011 at 9:26:29 am

It will work if you do it in trim mode. Not sure about slip or slide mode, and cannot check right now as I am away from my editing rig.

patrice

Return to posts index

Terence Morris
on Jun 12, 2011 at 5:41:50 pm

Hi Patrice - I appreciate you responding:

I just put it into trim edit (Cmd+7) and the play head repositions to the end of the clip each time rather than cycling between markers. And the moment I select a clip while it is playing, it dumps me out of trim mode.

Like I say, there must be fundamental differences in Vegas vs FC work flow, and I'm not getting what the trim mode is doing. What I am trying to do (as in Vegas) is to shift around the soundtrack while cycling a region within a clip (not at the end). I really need to work through the manual (and will eventually).

So, approaching this from the other end, in FC - let's say this is your task and you want so shift an audio event in the timeline to sync to a video event, what is best routine?

If you (or anyone) can point up a standard protocol or step me though it themselves, I would be forever grateful!

BTW, I really have searched around for a solution (including the manual) , perhaps without knowing some crucial key words/ concepts.

Return to posts index

Karen Cerino
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:16:28 pm

Welcome to the Mac side.
I'm using FCP 7 so I hope this translates to you.
Assuming your audio and video tracks aren't locked together(Shift L can toggle this), I'd use the slip and slide tool (S) an then use the play around current () feature. I believe the default setting is 5 seconds before and 2 seconds after, but that can be changed in the User Preferences/ Editing tab. It's not quite a loop, but it's as close as I know how.
Good luck!

Return to posts index

Terence Morris
on Jun 14, 2011 at 6:29:35 pm

Hi Karen,

Fantastic! I see how that works, plus I have learnt some new tricks. Thanks :)

The slip feature is actually a much better implementation than in Vegas as you can slip one frame at a time. Very accurate.

One last minor question: At the moment I use keys: "Shift\" to play IN to OUT, which is just about equivalent to the Vegas loop button. Is there any kind of mouse button equivalent to this command in Final Cut? I'm such a mousey person it seems!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]