FORUMS: list search recent posts

mask won't dissolve out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aaron smith
mask won't dissolve out
on Jun 11, 2011 at 1:59:40 am

I'm editing a project in fcp 7, i've added some rectangle masks on one track and put the video on the track above it (and changed the composite mode to travel matte-luma)...i'm using the masks to help create a multi image screen. Sometimes when i am trying to add a dissolve to the masks, the dissolve doesn't work. On the timeline, the dissolve will play through with no effect whatsoever on the mask. After the last frame of the dissolve, the mask just cuts out, as if there was no transition there. Sometimes it does this and sometimes it doesn't. Has anyone ran into this before? I've tried manually adjusting the opacity of the mask, but that doesn't work either. Again, sometimes the shape dissolves out, sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully this is simple, thanks in advance for reading my post.

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
Re: mask won't dissolve out
on Jun 11, 2011 at 2:02:23 am

I believe that you need to add the transition to both the video clip and the mask....

C.R.

Return to posts index

aaron smith
on Jun 11, 2011 at 2:16:00 am

i have tried that too. However, i am away from the project now, i will make sure they are the same transition when i look at it again tomorrow.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 11, 2011 at 2:25:37 am

It's difficult to know exactly what your particular project looks like or exactly what you're trying to achieve overall, so this may or may not work for what your doing.

In any case, what I might typically do in an instance like the one you're describing would be to make everything straight without dissolves, leaving handles of course, so that I can export the composite clip. Then, reimport the composite into FCP and make a new pass, this time blading, cutting back the necessary frames for handles, and now adding my transitions.

Does this make sense???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

aaron smith
on Jun 11, 2011 at 2:34:43 am

completely makes sense, thanks david...i also thought of nesting the items, but i of course would also have to add the handles i needed. It's strange that fc seems buggy on this, but maybe it's user error.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 11, 2011 at 2:55:36 am

Yes, nesting is another way of dealing with this that achieves virtually the same goal, and at this moment I'm not sure if either method has a clear advantage.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Mike Fuller
on Sep 4, 2011 at 2:09:46 am

I had success dissolving from let's say masked Scene 1 to Scene 2 on video track 1. The Scene 1 mask is on video track two (above V1). I copied Scene 2 on track 1 and placed it directly above Scene 2 on video track 2 using Shift-alt. I placed dissolves between the Scene 1 mask and Scene 2 (on V2) and Scene 1 and Scene 2 (on V1). Mute or delete the extra audio from copied Scene 2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]