FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting a play / bad sound

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zeke meginsky
Shooting a play / bad sound
on Jun 10, 2011 at 3:34:21 pm

I shot some footage of a play that might need to be used in my project. The sound came out really low and not so good, and there is only a small difference between the actors and the background noise.

The only sound I used for this was the shotgun mic. If I turn up the sound in Final Cut Pro, it is still poor quality. My question is: I did not turn the sound settings up in the camera. I understand that I'm supposed to do that. If I go again and reshoot it, will doing that come out with better sound than just turning it up in FCP? If so, why is that the case?

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Shooting a play / bad sound
on Jun 10, 2011 at 3:42:21 pm

What camera are you using for your shoot. It is important to monitor your audio through head phones as well as check your audio meters. You want the audio to hit around -12db to -6db. Adjust your audio so it hits around there. The audio you attempted to fix does not have enough level to be heard, and when you increase the gain you are introducing noise into your audio clip. That's why it is important to record proper levels when shoot. Good luck your next time around!

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2011 at 3:44:24 pm

[zeke meginsky] "If I go again and reshoot it, will doing that come out with better sound than just turning it up in FCP?"

No.
  • Getting the mic positioned properly -- aimed at the actors at close range -- and having a mic operator equipped with headphones move it as different actors speak, will help.
  • Putting wireless mics on the actors and running it through a mixer for recording will help.
  • Taking a feed out of the audio board (if there is one) will help.
  • And the number one best thing to do: Hiring a person who knows audio to do it for you will definitely help.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 10, 2011 at 9:19:13 pm

Mikes need to be placed within 3 feet of the actors mouths and aimed toward them. If they are being amplified through powered speakers you could aim a mike at the speaker but the quality won't be great. You really need to give the forum more detals. How many actors? What are the sound conditions? What resources do you have? How is the play blocked? One shot gun for most plays won't cut it.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 10, 2011 at 10:32:16 pm

[Craig Alan] "One shot gun for most plays won't cut it."

Might work for "Death of a Salesman". Only one I could think of where one mic would work.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]