FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting HD Problems...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angela Zumbrum
Exporting HD Problems...
on Jun 9, 2011 at 5:59:45 pm

I have been editing with FCP for many years. However, the company that I work for recently switched their cameras to :Panasonic AG-HMC40 AVCCAM HD Camcorder.

Since then I have had nothing but nightmares!!!

To begin with I was only given .MTS files. So, through creative cow help, I learned to convert these to Apple ProRes 422 using Clip Wrap. Got that complete.

Next, I edited the footage. It's a wedding, so every shot is in slow motion. Which, I slowed, by adjusting the speed, as I always did with dv. Is that correct? The footage seems really jumpy!

Here is my issue now, I am ready to export. I have no idea what to do. After reading many other posts, and trying many different export options, I am still having the following problems:

1. The video is a very small box in the middle of the screen/monitor and even tv. Why isn't it filling the screen??

2. The slow motion shots really seem to drag and jump.

My sequence setting are set to :

1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)

Pixel Aspect Ratio HD (1440x1080) I know this can't be right

Compressor : Apple Prores 422

Field Dominance : Lower (even)

PLEASE help me! I am exporting to a USB 2.0 external. I know that I need a faster drive, but I am not worried about smooth playback on the computer. Just in my burning process. Using DVD Studio Pro.

I was excited to go HD, but this has been really tough for me. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you!

My System: Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Angela

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting HD Problems...
on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:15:50 pm

[Angela Zumbrum] "To begin with I was only given .MTS files. So, through creative cow help, I learned to convert these to Apple ProRes 422 using Clip Wrap. Got that complete."

Or you can use Log and Transfer...the FCP standard for importing tapeless media: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

[Angela Zumbrum] "Next, I edited the footage. It's a wedding, so every shot is in slow motion. Which, I slowed, by adjusting the speed, as I always did with dv. Is that correct? The footage seems really jumpy!"

What frame rate did you shoot? 29.97? 23.98? If 23.98, that is less frames than DV, which is 29.97, so the slow motion will be jumpier. If you want smooth slow motion, you need to shoot higher frame rates, like 60fps for example (you would have to shoot 720p at that point). Then using Cinema Tools to conform that to 23.98 or 29.97 to match the normal speed stuff.

[Angela Zumbrum] "Here is my issue now, I am ready to export. I have no idea what to do."

Export for what? DVD? Web? Tape? what purpose?

[Angela Zumbrum] "1. The video is a very small box in the middle of the screen/monitor and even tv. Why isn't it filling the screen??"

How did you export? using what? Does the video look this way in FCP? Does it fill the screen? Did you use sequence settings that don't match the clip settings? In the Canvas, choose FIT TO WINDOW...does the footage fill the screen? If so, then something in the converting process is what caused the issue. And since we weren't there to see what you did, you will need to enlighten us.

[Angela Zumbrum] "2. The slow motion shots really seem to drag and jump."

See explaination above. What frame rate did it start out as? Slowing down how much? Turning off Frame Blending helps a bit.

[Angela Zumbrum] "I am not worried about smooth playback on the computer. Just in my burning process. Using DVD Studio Pro."

OK...making a DVD. Did you use the DVD Best Quality presets in Compressor? How did you get the file from FCP to Compressor?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Jun 9, 2011 at 7:00:30 pm

I exported the sequences as quicktime movies with current settings. Then dragged the files into compressor.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:19:17 pm

[Angela Zumbrum] "My sequence setting are set to :

1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)

Pixel Aspect Ratio HD (1440x1080) I know this can't be right

Compressor : Apple Prores 422

Field Dominance : Lower (even)"

You have a major issue... Field dominance of all HD video is upper (odd). So, that 's one thing you'll need to fix straight away. However let's try to fix everything at once.

So...

First, open a new sequence.

Next, drop a single clip of your ProRes 422 footage onto the timeline, and when FCP asks if you want it to make your sequence settings match the clip, answer okay/yes.

Now, copy and paste everything from your previous sequence into the new sequence. It will most likely be distorted and not the proper size. But, until you tell me if you've resized and animated clips in your project I can't help you further. So, get back to me with that info.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Stick with Shane, I'm leaving the office now...
on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:21:52 pm

It's all yours Shane...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:56:20 pm

THank you so much. I know this is basic stuff for you. I appreciate your help.

after taking the steps that you mentioned: Here are my new sequence settings:

Frame Size: 1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: square
Editing timebase: 23.98

Field Dominance : None.... with no option to change this.

Compressor: Apple ProRes 422

What now?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 9, 2011 at 7:07:37 pm

Exporting for DVD? File>Export>Quicktime Movie. Check the SELF CONTAINED box. The result will be a full resolution file of your project. Take that into Compressor, use the DVD BEST QUALITY preset that best fits your timing. Take the result into DVD Studio Pro.

But yea, 23.98...that's 6 frames less per second than DV...that is 29.97. So slow motion will not be as smooth. For smooth slow motion, you need to shoot 720p60...60fps...and slow that to 23.98. That will get VERY smooth slow motion. But, for now, you have to live with what you have.

Shane

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Jun 9, 2011 at 7:37:34 pm

Thank you so much. I am going to try this now and see if that fixes the size of the video too.

As far as shooting, I have NOTHING to do with that part. I will recommend that they shoot at 60fps. Do you think that will be an option on the camera??

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:02:08 pm

[Angela Zumbrum] "As far as shooting, I have NOTHING to do with that part. I will recommend that they shoot at 60fps. "

That's all you can do. Tell the if they want smooth slow motion, they need to use a higher frame rate. THen you use these steps to get it to nice smooth slow motion...  

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/slow-motion_cinema-tools/1

[Angela Zumbrum] " I will recommend that they shoot at 60fps. Do you think that will be an option on the camera??"

Yes, that camera has that option. 720p60...not 1080p 60...just FYI

Shane

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:09:24 pm

Thanks!

New problem: I exported my sequence as you said. Then, before I brought it into compressor, I just wanted to check it for size.

So, I put in idvd, just to peek at it in the preview section. The video is still a tiny box in the middle of the screen. Not sure what the problem is. When I view the video in FCP, it does not fill the screen (within the title safe lines) It is bigger than I view in dvd program, but still not filling my canvas.

Again, my sequence settings are set to match the clip. I let FCP do that for me.

Thank You

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:40:49 pm

[Angela Zumbrum] "When I view the video in FCP, it does not fill the screen (within the title safe lines) It is bigger than I view in dvd program, but still not filling my canvas."
Hi Angela,
You have fixed the Sequence setting, but if you have changed the Time-base, you can't use the stuff from the old sequence.
No problem to fix size, pixels aspect or field-order, but nothing to do with the time-base.

[Angela Zumbrum] "Again, my sequence settings are set to match the clip. I let FCP do that for me."
Yes, and the fresh stuff you lie on the sequence will do it. This won't change the stuff you pasted from the old sequence.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:50:57 pm

I have exported my sequence and my video (even that that is not in slow motion) is jusmping and skipping frames when viewed in DVDSP...What have I done wrong?

Sequence Settings:

1920x1080 HDTV 10801 (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ration: Square
Field Dominance - None (with no option to change)
Compressor: Apple ProRes 422

This is what FCP automatically did to my sequence when I dropped the footage into it.

I am simply exporting QT movie, self contained using current settings.

Any ideas why it is jumping when I view it? Do you think this could be just my computer dragging, and that when I burn it and view on TV it will look better?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:50:56 pm

Try using DVD Studio Pro instead. I have no experience with iDVD...but it is doing something wrong. 

#42 - Quick and dirty way to author a DVD

Shane's Stock Answer #42 - David Roth Weiss' Secret Quick and Dirty Way to Author a DVD:

The absolute simplest way to make a DVD using FCP and DVDSP is as follows:

1. Export a QT movie, either a reference file or self contained using current settings.

2. Open DVDSP, select the "graphical" tab and you will see two little monitors, one blue, one green.

3. Select the left blue one and hit delete.

4. Now, select the green one, right click on it amd select the top option "first play".

5. Now drag your QT from the broswer and drop it on top of the green monitor.

6. Now, for a DVD from an HD source, look to the right side and select the "general tab" in the track editor, and see the Display Mode, and select "16:9 pan-scan."

7. Hit the little black and yellow burn icon at the top of the page and put a a DVD in when prompted. DVDSP will encode and burn your new DVD.

THATS ALL!!!

NOW...if you want a GOOD LOOKING DVD, instead of taking your REF movie into DVD SP, instead take it into Compressor and choose the BEST QUALITY ENCODE (2 pass VBR) that matches your show timing. Then take THAT result into DVD SP and follow the rest of the steps. Except you can choose "16:9 LETTERBOX" instead of PAN & SCAN if you want to see the entire image.

Shane

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Jun 12, 2011 at 7:41:11 pm

Thank you for your help. However, even after trying this. my video is still a small box in the middle of the screen? The only option that I can think of is to actually resize each clip in the canvas of FCP. This can not be right! Maybe I am still missing a step in exporting? Any more help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Angela Zumbrum
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:18:34 pm

I am still stuck. The video is still a very tiny box after exporting. In fact, the video is less than half the correct size when viewing it in the canvas of FCP. However, I have 3 different sequences within this project. 2 sequences are half size, and one sequence looks perfect. I tired to match the correct settings to the other sequences, and it still left them very small. Any advice?? I mean I am almost ready to resize each slip to fill the screen and I KNOW that can't be correct. AHHHH!

Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 13, 2011 at 7:00:15 pm

I don't know what to say. It seems that you have footage that is differently sized than your sequence. Like it isn't HD...smaller like DV? 720x480?

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]